Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigboss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rope Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 12K views
bigboss
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side and a 100 kg box on the other side. The box is sitting on the ground.

Homework Equations



Fnet= Tension- Force of Gravity

m1a=t-m1g
m2a=t-m2g

The Attempt at a Solution



I found acceleration which was 2.45, and i plugged it back into formula and got the wrong answer. I know the answer is 603 N, however, i forgot how i came to that answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I applied the following :
m1=100 kg , m2=60 kg ,, m1a=m1g-T ,, m2a=T-m2g
(m1+m2)a=m1g-m2g and I get a=2.45 and T=735N in both sides,, so i don't think your answer is wrong ,, but I don't know :P
 
bigboss said:

Homework Statement



Find the tension in a rope with a 60kg man hanging on one side and a 100 kg box on the other side. The box is sitting on the ground.

Homework Equations



Fnet= Tension- Force of Gravity

m1a=t-m1g
m2a=t-m2g

The Attempt at a Solution



I found acceleration which was 2.45, and i plugged it back into formula and got the wrong answer. I know the answer is 603 N, however, i forgot how i came to that answer.

The box is sitting on the ground, so the acceleration is zero.

Note that there is also a normal force on the box.
 
If a = 0 and there is N ,, the Tension of the man is different than the box right ??
m1g-T1-N=0
T2-m2g=0
are these equations right ?
 
Lord Dark said:
If a = 0 and there is N ,, the Tension of the man is different than the box right ??
m1g-T1-N=0
T2-m2g=0
are these equations right ?

The tension on the man is still the same as the tension on the box
The equations are right , but you may set T1 = T2