1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration and Tension in Multiple Pulleys

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block "m1" sits on a horizontal frictionless surface. Block "m2" is hanging below the pulleys as shown. All of the pulleys are massless and frictionless. Given [m1, m2]. Determine:

a. The tension in each rope.
    b. The acceleration of each block.

assignment 5, prob 7.png
    2. Relevant equations
    Sum(F) = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    block m1:
    F = m1a
    Tension = m1a

block m2:
    m2g - T - T = m2a
    m2g - 2T = m2a
    2T = m2g - m2a

*insert tension found through working block m1

2(m1a) = m2g - m2a
    2m1a + m2a = m2g
    a(2m1 + m2) = m2g
    a = m2g/(2m1 + m2)

a. T = m1a
    b. Acceleration = m2g/(2m1 + m2)

I've been been looking around the internet and asking my peers about this problem and we all seem to have varying answers. Could someone verify as to whether or not i'm doing this properly?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have assumed both masses have the same acceleration. Do they?

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    Hm, might it be that block m1 has a greater acceleration due to the rope pulling directly on it? If so how would the acceleration differ?

5. Oct 11, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If mass 1 moves 1 cm, how far does mass 2 move? Hint: The rope is likely assumed to have a fixed length.

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5
    I believe that mass 2 would also move one centimeter, or would the existence of the rope connected to the hook create a different outcome?

7. Oct 11, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest you write the length of the rope as a function of the positions of the masses.

8. Oct 11, 2015 #7

Mister T

Science Advisor

I recommend a pulley. Connect one to a string and use it to lift something. If you don't have a pulley make one out of a key ring. Just loop the string (or a shoe lace) through the ring and use it to lift the keys, just as you would to lift m2.

9. Oct 11, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Supposing mass m2 moves down by 1 cm. How much longer became both vertical pieces of the rope?
    The length of the whole rope is constant. How much shorter becomes the horizontal piece?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted