Find the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
davidelete
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
1. Find the tension in the guy wire and the force on the strut by the pivot.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/382/tension.png

Homework Equations


I think Fwsin30 and Fwsin40 is applicable here to find tension.

The Attempt at a Solution


The information provided is EXTREMELY vague in my opinion, and I have no idea how to come to any sensible solution. I am not sure if torque is needed or not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't know what the "strut by the pivot" means so I have to agree it is vague. I would work with the forces acting on the tip where the weight is hung from. There are three forces acting there and since that point is not accelerating, those three forces must add up to zero. You can go with horizontal and vertical components for each vector, or you can go with a head-to-tail triangle diagram of the three vectors adding to zero and solve it with law of sines and law of cosines.
 
Delphi51 said:
Well, I don't know what the "strut by the pivot" means so I have to agree it is vague. I would work with the forces acting on the tip where the weight is hung from. There are three forces acting there and since that point is not accelerating, those three forces must add up to zero. You can go with horizontal and vertical components for each vector, or you can go with a head-to-tail triangle diagram of the three vectors adding to zero and solve it with law of sines and law of cosines.

The strut by the pivot, I do believe, is the pole acting at the 45 degree angle. Could you please explain what forces those may be? I know that one must be Fw or Force of weight.
 
Yes, gravity and the push of the strut and the pull of the guy wire. I would assume that the strut just pushes in its own direction.