Find the Time Constant of an RC Circuit

In summary: I and Io stuff came up ...Okay, I think I understand. In summary, the time constant for the charging circuit is simply T=RC. There is no need to involve the current or max current (Io) in this calculation. The equation V=E(1-e^(-t/T)) can be used to determine the voltage of the capacitor, but it is not necessary in finding the time constant. The equivalent capacitance for two capacitors in series is simply the sum of the individual capacitances.
tomrja

Homework Statement

Two capacitors (c1 = 11 and c2 = 15 μF) are charged in series by a 11 V battery. Find the time constant of the charging circuit. (r = 4 Ω).

Homework Equations

V=E(1-e^(-t/T)) Where T=Tau=RC, E is the Voltage of the power source, and V is the voltage of the capacitor.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly certain that Tau is the time constant in this case, so I solved for Tau, but I don't know what to plug in for the voltage of the capacitor (V). Am I even headed in the right direction with this?

Attachments

• prob02a.gif
    prob02a.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two capacitors in series with a resistor. What is the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors?

V represents the sum of the voltages across C1 & C2. Instead of using V=E(1‒e(‒ t/τ)), use I = (I0)e(‒ t/τ).

I got an equivalent capacitance of 6.3462e-6F. I guess I am not understanding where the currents in the equation come into play. Would I use Q=CV? Where would that get me? Also, I found an equation for the circuit to be V-(R1*I)-(Q/C)=0. What is the difference between I and Io? Isn't there only on current flowing through the circuit? Thanks for helping me out... I am a little lost.

I is the current at time t
Io is the max current

cupid.callin said:
I is the current at time t
Io is the max current

Ahh okay. But how am I supposed to know what I and Io are?

I will be changing with time ... Io is max current ... when do you think that current will be maximum

but i think that time constant should be just RC (c is net capacitance) ... does it give correct answer?

and eqn of I given by sammy is wrong and also a bit unusable ...

you know how to define q in capacitor at any time ... just differentiate it with dt

cupid.callin said:
and eqn of I given by sammy is wrong and also a bit unusable ...

you know how to define q in capacitor at any time ... just differentiate it with dt

haha... ok. I'm sorry, I'm still lost... I'll show you what I have done and maybe you can guide me from there.

I found a equivalent capacitance and that was 6.3462e-6F. I know that Q=CV=(6.3462e-6F)(11)=6.98077e-5 which is the max charge on the capacitor. I know that I=V/R=(11V)/(4ohm)=2.75A. I have an equation for an RC circuit that is charging: V=E(1-e^(-t/T)) Where T=Tau=RC, E is the Voltage of the power source, and V is the voltage of the capacitor. Is the voltage of the capacitor different from the voltage of the power source, because If they were the same then I would get 0=e^(-t/T) and you can't take the ln of 0. Am I doing something right?

I got it... I went way more into this problem than I should have. It just ended up being T=RC.

Thanks for you help

Take Care

tomrja said:
I got it... I went way more into this problem than I should have. It just ended up being T=RC.

Thanks for you help

Take Care

HA HA HA ...

I was right ...

1. What is a time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the voltage or current in the circuit will change in response to a sudden change in the input. It is denoted by the symbol tau (τ) and is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula τ = RC, where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula applies to both series and parallel RC circuits.

3. Why is the time constant important in an RC circuit?

The time constant is important because it determines how quickly the voltage or current will reach its steady-state value after a change in the input. A shorter time constant means the circuit will respond faster, while a longer time constant means it will respond slower.

4. How can the time constant of an RC circuit be measured experimentally?

The time constant of an RC circuit can be measured experimentally by charging a capacitor through a resistor and measuring the time it takes for the voltage to reach a certain percentage of its maximum value. This percentage is typically 63.2% and is known as the "time constant" percentage.

5. What factors can affect the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit can be affected by the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit, as well as the type of input signal and the overall circuit design. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and the aging of components.