Find the time dependent magnetic field intensity

In summary, the student attempted to use equations for magnetic field intensity but was concerned about oversimplifying the problem.
TheBigDig

Homework Statement

Calculate the time-dependent magnetic field intensity B(t) at an axial distance r from a long, thin straight copper wire that carries a sinusoidal current with an alternating frequency of 50 Hz and a maximum amplitude of 0.5 A.

Homework Equations

[tex] I = Asin(\omega t) [/tex]
[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve for the above simply enough but my real concern is that using this equation for B is greatly oversimplifying the problem. I have looked into using Faraday's Law and Biot-Savart Law but I feel I'm lacking some information in order to use them.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBigDig said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the time-dependent magnetic field intensity B(t) at an axial distance r from a long, thin straight copper wire that carries a sinusoidal current with an alternating frequency of 50 Hz and a maximum amplitude of 0.5 A.

Homework Equations

[tex] I = Asin(\omega t) [/tex]
[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve for the above simply enough but my real concern is that using this equation for B is greatly oversimplifying the problem. I have looked into using Faraday's Law and Biot-Savart Law but I feel I'm lacking some information in order to use them.
What you did is correct. In general, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric field and thereby produce additional results, particularly if there is a conductive medium nearby. In addition, a changing current in a wire can generate electromagnetic waves, but I believe that is more of a concern at r-f frequencies. The magnetic field is a vector though, so you do need to specify the direction. ## \\ ## Editing: It only asks for the magnetic field intensity, so what you did is sufficient, once you compute the numerical value.

Oh thanks very much. That clears things up a lot!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is time dependent magnetic field intensity?

Time dependent magnetic field intensity refers to the strength of a magnetic field that changes over time. This can occur due to the movement of charged particles or changing electric currents.

2. How is time dependent magnetic field intensity measured?

Time dependent magnetic field intensity is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect changes in magnetic fields and provide corresponding measurements.

3. What factors can affect time dependent magnetic field intensity?

There are several factors that can affect time dependent magnetic field intensity, including the strength and direction of the current, the distance from the source of the field, and the medium through which the field is passing.

4. What are some real-life applications of understanding time dependent magnetic field intensity?

Understanding time dependent magnetic field intensity is crucial in many industries, such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy production. It is also important in fields like geology and astronomy, where magnetic fields play a role in the behavior of Earth and other celestial bodies.

5. How can time dependent magnetic field intensity be calculated or predicted?

There are various mathematical models and equations that can be used to calculate or predict time dependent magnetic field intensity, depending on the specific scenario and variables involved. These calculations often involve concepts such as electromagnetism and differential equations.