Find the turning point of y=4x^2-8x-5

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
footprints
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
[tex]y=4x^2-8x-5[/tex] Find the coordinates of the turning point of the curve. Where do I even start?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
With the definition of turning point.
 
Well, then, that's where you need to start. What does your book have to say, or your notes?

(Incidentally, what level math is this?)
 
My book doesn't say anything about the definition of a turning point. I'm in grade 9.
 
If you mean the minimi/maximi-point of the curve, you can set the derivate equal to zero and solve. Wait a minute, it must be an another way... Try to completting the square on the function...
 
Where did you see the problem?


If I had to guess what it meant, I would say the point where the graph of the polynomial stops going downwards and starts going upwards. Since it's a parabola, that would be its vertex.
 
Try to completting the square on the function
Since it's a parabola, that would be its vertex.
Oh Yes! Now that you guys mention that, I know what to do now :rolleyes: Thanks!
 
Last edited: