Find the value of point A and B

• Thread starter shayaan_musta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Value
In summary, experts discussed a problem involving finding the values of A and B in a given figure. The OP was initially missing information, but with the additional information provided, it was possible to use trigonometry to calculate the angles and lengths of the sides of the triangle. By using the Law of Sines and the given information, the coordinates of points A and B were determined to be (-2.38,0) and (-8.34,0), respectively.
shayaan_musta
Hello experts.

I am attaching the image below. Kindly tell me how to calculate the values of A and B in the given figure?
Now I must find A and B. How to get it?
PS: P=-2.5+4.33i. But A is not at -2.5. Means PA is not making angle 90 with real axis.
Thank you

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 434
Mathematics news on Phys.org
One information is missing, either about A or B or another angle. With P and the 55° at P you could still find infinitely many solutions. Or is it supposed to express A as function of B?

Likes shayaan_musta
No further information is given. Here is the image of the whole page below.
Here is AO=2.38. But how?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 442
shayaan_musta said:
No further information is given. Here is the image of the whole page below.
Here is AO=2.38. But how?
But, as @fresh_42 rightly supposed, you have one more piece of information, namely ##\frac {\overline {PA}}{\overline{PB}}=\frac {4.77}{8}##.
Then, as the text suggests, you can calculate A and B using trigonometry.

Last edited:
Likes shayaan_musta
But how? This is the actual question of mine. For A and B, I posted this thread. If you are saying to solve it myself then what is the cause of posting this thread. Kindly enlighten the way for me to find A and B.

shayaan_musta said:
But how? This is the actual question of mine. For A and B, I posted this thread. If you are saying to solve it myself then what is the cause of posting this thread. Kindly enlighten the way for me to find A and B.
You've been posting information in dribs and drabs, and you are expecting a full solution to what is obviously a much larger problem than just figuring out this triangle.

How about some full disclosure of the complete problem or section from this text you are referencing?

Likes shayaan_musta
shayaan_musta said:
As both @fresh_42 and @SteamKing noted, you first didn't provide enough information to solve the triangle.
From your second attachment we learned that ##\frac {\overline {PA}}{\overline{PB}}=\frac {4.77}{8}##

With this information the triangle can be solved.

Now there are probably many ways to do it.
I would begin in the following way:
If ##\alpha## is the angle in A, and ##\beta## the angle in B, ##\frac {\sin(\beta)}{\sin(\alpha)}## can be determined (using ##\frac {\overline {PA}}{\overline{PB}}=\frac {4.77}{8}## and the law of sines).
But we also know that ##\alpha+\beta=125°##, so that ##\sin(\beta)=\sin(125°-\alpha)=\sin(125°)\cos(\alpha)-cos(125°)\sin(\alpha)##.
These two together will allow to compute ##\cot(\alpha)##. And then the other components of the triangle can be computed. It is tedious but it works.

This is just one way to do it. Hopefully someone else will come along with a less tedious method.

As this thread should probably have been posted in the homework section, we are not allowed to give the full solutions.

Last edited:
Likes shayaan_musta
OK. This is what I did,

sin(125°-α)=sin(125°)cos(α)-cos(125°)sin(α)
since, sin(β)=sin(125°-α)
so,
sin(β)=sin(125°)cos(α)-cos(125°)sin(α)
dividing both sides by sin(α)
so,
sin(β)/sin(α)=sin(125°)cos(α)/sin(α)-cos(125°)sin(α)/sin(α)
sin(β)/sin(α)=sin(125°)cos(α)/sin(α)-cos(125°)
sin(β)/sin(α)=0.8192*cos(α)/sin(α)-(-0.5736)
4.77/8=0.8192*cot(α)+0.5736
0.596=0.8192*cot(α)+0.5736
0.0227=0.8192*cot(α)
cot(α)=0.0227/0.8192
cot(α)=0.028
α=88° and α+β=125° => β=37°
and
AB=sin(P)*PA/sin(β)=6.5

But now what? I still don't have point A coordinates :(

shayaan_musta said:
OK. This is what I did,

sin(125°-α)=sin(125°)cos(α)-cos(125°)sin(α)
since, sin(β)=sin(125°-α)
so,
sin(β)=sin(125°)cos(α)-cos(125°)sin(α)
dividing both sides by sin(α)
so,
sin(β)/sin(α)=sin(125°)cos(α)/sin(α)-cos(125°)sin(α)/sin(α)
sin(β)/sin(α)=sin(125°)cos(α)/sin(α)-cos(125°)
sin(β)/sin(α)=0.8192*cos(α)/sin(α)-(-0.5736)
4.77/8=0.8192*cot(α)+0.5736
0.596=0.8192*cot(α)+0.5736
0.0227=0.8192*cot(α)
cot(α)=0.0227/0.8192
cot(α)=0.028
α=88° and α+β=125° => β=37°
and
AB=sin(P)*PA/sin(β)=6.5

But now what? I still don't have point A coordinates :(
Draw the line from P perpendicular to the horizontal axis. It will cross the horizontal axis in a point Q, just to the left of A.
PAQ is a right triangle and you know the coordinates of P, the coordinates of Q and the angle ##\alpha##. That should lead you to the coordinates of A.

Likes shayaan_musta
Yes, I tried this already before posting post#8 but problem is P has iota in imaginary axis i.e. P(-2.5+4.33i).

shayaan_musta said:
Yes, I tried this already before posting post#8 but problem is P has iota in imaginary axis i.e. P(-2.5+4.33i).
I don't know what more you want.
So far:
1. You have determined all three angles in this triangle
2. You have calculated the length of one side of this triangle.
3. You know the coordinates of one of the vertices of this triangle.

It's time to let loose on the trigonometry and find the rest of the missing information.

Hint: Use the Law of Sines to find the lengths of the other two sides.

Likes shayaan_musta
:cry: OK

shayaan_musta said:
You lost me there.

In triangle APQ:
##\cot(\alpha)=\frac {|AQ|}{|PQ|}##. The only unknown here is ##|AQ|##.
Thus:
##|AQ|=\cot(\alpha)*|PQ|=0.028*4.33=0.12##
So the coordinates of A are: ##(-2.5+0.12,0)=(-2.38,0) ##

For B (same as above, but now in the right triangle BPQ):
##\beta=\pi-55*\frac{\pi}{180}-1.543=0.638## (in radians).
##|BQ|=\cot(\beta)*|PQ|=\cot(0.638)*4.33=1.349*4.33=5.84##
So the coordinates of B are: ##(-2.5-5.84,0)=(-8.34,0)##

Last edited:
Likes shayaan_musta
:wink::kiss:

Best Regards,
Pinky

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of point A and B?

Finding the value of point A and B is important in order to understand the coordinates and location of these points in a given space. This information is crucial in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as graphing, geometry, and navigation.

2. How do you find the value of point A and B?

The process of finding the value of point A and B depends on the context in which they are being used. In general, it involves identifying the coordinates of the points and using mathematical equations or formulas to determine their values. This can be done manually or with the help of technology, such as graphing calculators or computer software.

3. What are some common methods for finding the value of point A and B?

Some common methods for finding the value of point A and B include using the distance formula, slope formula, and midpoint formula in coordinate geometry. In algebra, solving systems of equations and using substitution or elimination methods can also help determine the values of these points.

4. Why is it important to accurately find the value of point A and B?

Accurately finding the value of point A and B is important because it ensures that the coordinates and location of these points are correctly represented in mathematical and scientific calculations. This accuracy is necessary for obtaining reliable results and making informed decisions based on the data.

5. Can the value of point A and B change?

Yes, the value of point A and B can change depending on the context in which they are being used. For example, the coordinates of these points may change if the reference frame or coordinate system is changed. Additionally, in real-world situations, the actual location of point A and B may change due to factors such as movement or growth.