Find the volume about the x axis

In summary, the conversation involves finding the volume about the x-axis using the given equations. The individual struggles with using the correct formula and integrating from the correct limits. They eventually discuss using the washer or shell method and breaking the problem into two parts. The correct equations and integrals are provided for finding the volume.
suspenc3
Find the volume about the x axis:

[tex]y=4x^2[/tex] [tex]2x+y=6[/tex]

so, [tex] \sqrt{y/4}=x[/tex], [tex]x=6-y/2[/tex]

I found the two graphs intersect at x=1, since there are two curves, which one should I use to find the height, I used x=(6-y)/2 to give me H=(-4-y)/2 and Circumference of (2pi)y

All of this is giving me a wrong answer, any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you are going to have to break the problem into two parts to solve it that way. The height is different depending on if you are above or below the intersection point (above or below as in y>4 or y<4).
Do you have any work or ideas after getting the height and circumference?

quick glance again shows that the x=6-y/2 is incorrect. should be x=3-y/2. hopefully that helps.

i meant (6-y)/2

well, i just tried integrating from 6 to 0

[tex]2\pi \int_0^6 (\frac{-4y-y^2}{2}[/tex]

which gave me something like 144pi

well you used the correct formula (that being 2*pi*r*h*dr) but think a little more about your integration height. From y= 4 to 6 you are correct to use x=(6-y)/2. But, from y=0 to 4 you are limited by the y=4x^2. Try breaking the integral into 2 parts. One running from y=0 to 4 and having a height based on the y=4x^2 and the other running from y=4 to 6 and having a height based on 2x+y=6.

ie: the area you were calculating is the area of the triangle made by the x-axis, y-axis and line 2x+y=6, revolved around the x-axis.

Actually, the two graphs intersect at x= 1 and x= -3/2. If you use the "washer" method (a washer is the region between two circles. If they have radii r1 and r2 the area is ([itex]\pi (r_2^2- r_1^2)[/itex]) you will need both an outer and an inner radius. The inner radius is y= 4x2 and the outer radius is y= 6- 2x. The volume you seek is
[tex]\pi \int_{-3/2}^1 (16x^4- (6- 2x)^2)dx[/itex]

If you use the "shell" method (a horizontal line through the region represents the curved part of the cylinder generated by rotating around the x-axis) then you will need to break the problem into two parts. Below y= 4, that horizontal line is between the two parts of the parabola, [itex]x= -\sqrt{y}/2[/itex] and [itex]x= \sqrt{y}/2[/itex]. Above y= 4, the right endpoint is on the line, x= (y- 6)/2. The volume is given by
[tex]2\pi\int_{y= 0}^4 y\sqrt{y}dy+ 2\pi\int_{y= 4}^9 y\left(\frac{y-6}{2}+ \frac{\sqrt{y}}{2}\right)dy[/tex]

1. What is the definition of "Find the volume about the x axis"?

"Find the volume about the x axis" is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of calculating the volume of a three-dimensional shape when it is rotated around the x axis. This is often done in order to find the volume of irregular or complex shapes.

2. How do you find the volume about the x axis?

To find the volume about the x axis, you first need to have the equation or graph of the shape. Then, you use the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution, which involves taking the integral of the function with respect to x. This will give you the volume of the shape when it is rotated around the x axis.

3. What is the formula for finding the volume about the x axis?

The formula for finding the volume about the x axis is V = ∫π(y(x))^2dx, where y(x) is the equation for the shape and the integral is taken with respect to x. This formula is derived from the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder, V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

4. Can you give an example of finding the volume about the x axis?

Sure, let's say we have the equation y = x^2 for a parabola. To find the volume of this shape when rotated around the x axis, we would use the formula V = ∫π(x^2)^2dx. After solving the integral, we would get V = (π/5)x^5. This means that the volume about the x axis for this parabola would be (π/5)x^5 cubic units.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the volume about the x axis?

Finding the volume about the x axis has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, engineers may use this concept to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects or structures, while architects may use it to determine the volume of a curved roof. In physics, this concept is used to calculate the moment of inertia of an object, which is important in understanding its rotational motion.