1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of th eresulting solid by and method

1. Feb 14, 2007 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The region bounded by the curves is rotated about the specified axis. Find the volume of th eresulting solid by and method.

[tex]x^2 + \left( {y - 1} \right)^2 = 1[/tex]

First question want it rotated about the x-axis, the second question wants it rotated about the y-axis.

So I re-write it in terms of x. Seems easier than in terms of y since there's only 1 x term.
    [tex]x = \sqrt { - y^2 + 2y}
    [/tex]

The problem is when I graph it,
    [​IMG]

So nothing is bounded. There is no solid to rotate. Should I have solved in terms of y instead? How would I do that?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you need to take both the positive and negative square roots?

4. Feb 15, 2007 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your reply.

It still seems like there is no bounded region. All the other problems in this section give a second curve, usually a line like y=2, just to bound the curve. What am I doing wrong? Did I properly solve for x?
    [​IMG]

5. Feb 15, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have lost a "sign". x2+ (y-1)2= 1 is obviously a circle of radius 1 with center at (0, 1), not the hyperbola you show.

[tex]x= \pm \sqrt{1-(y-1)^2}= \pm \sqrt{2y- y^2}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]y= 1\pm \sqrt{1- x^2}[/tex]

6. Feb 15, 2007 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol... and I should have recognized that the answer in the back of the book, 4pi/3 is the volume of a unit sphere. Without the r^3 in the formula I didn't recognize it.

Thanks, Halls

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?