Find the wavelength in the lab of grating spectrometer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
bamdavis
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I did a lab today using this stuff. I need to learn how to find the wavelength of the 1st order of an unknown filament. My data is
600 lines/mm grating
Purple line
15 degrees 30 minutes, 15.5 degrees

using the equation of d sin (angle) = m (lambda)

im supposed to get something like 444nm or 436nm.

i rearranged the equation as d sin (angle)/m = lambda

im definitely doing something wrong
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bamdavis said:
I did a lab today using this stuff. I need to learn how to find the wavelength of the 1st order of an unknown filament. My data is
600 lines/mm grating
Purple line
15 degrees 30 minutes, 15.5 degrees

using the equation of d sin (angle) = m (lambda)

im supposed to get something like 444nm or 436nm.

i rearranged the equation as d sin (angle)/m = lambda

im definitely doing something wrong
Everything looks okay so far. How about doing--and showing us--your calculation?