Find the wavelength in the lab of grating spectrometer?

In summary, the speaker discussed their experience doing a lab using an unknown filament and needing to find the wavelength of the 1st order. They provided their data of a 600 lines/mm grating, a purple line, and angles of 15 degrees 30 minutes and 15.5 degrees. They also mentioned using the equation d sin (angle) = m (lambda) and expecting a result of 444nm or 436nm. However, they rearranged the equation as d sin (angle)/m = lambda and acknowledged that they may be making a mistake.
bamdavis
I did a lab today using this stuff. I need to learn how to find the wavelength of the 1st order of an unknown filament. My data is
600 lines/mm grating
Purple line
15 degrees 30 minutes, 15.5 degrees

using the equation of d sin (angle) = m (lambda)

im supposed to get something like 444nm or 436nm.

i rearranged the equation as d sin (angle)/m = lambda

im definitely doing something wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
bamdavis said:
I did a lab today using this stuff. I need to learn how to find the wavelength of the 1st order of an unknown filament. My data is
600 lines/mm grating
Purple line
15 degrees 30 minutes, 15.5 degrees

using the equation of d sin (angle) = m (lambda)

im supposed to get something like 444nm or 436nm.

i rearranged the equation as d sin (angle)/m = lambda

im definitely doing something wrong
Everything looks okay so far. How about doing--and showing us--your calculation?

1. What is a grating spectrometer?

A grating spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the wavelengths of light. It consists of a diffraction grating, which separates light into its component colors, and a detector, which measures the intensity of the light at each wavelength.

2. How does a grating spectrometer work?

A grating spectrometer works by passing light through a diffraction grating, which has a series of closely spaced parallel lines. When the light hits the grating, it is diffracted into its component wavelengths. The detector then measures the intensity of each wavelength, creating a spectrum.

3. What are the applications of a grating spectrometer?

A grating spectrometer is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in astronomy and chemistry. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, where it is used to measure the wavelengths of light for fiber optic cables.

4. How is the wavelength determined in a grating spectrometer?

The wavelength is determined by measuring the distance between the diffracted beams of light on the detector. This distance is known as the grating constant, and by using the grating equation, the wavelength of the light can be calculated.

5. What are the advantages of using a grating spectrometer?

One of the main advantages of using a grating spectrometer is its high resolution, meaning it can accurately measure very small differences in wavelength. It is also a versatile instrument, as it can be used to measure a wide range of wavelengths and can be easily calibrated. Additionally, it is non-destructive, meaning it does not harm the sample being measured.