Find the x Coordinate of the Center of Mass of 3 Chocolate Blocks

In summary, three odd-shaped blocks of chocolate with different masses and center-of-mass coordinates were given. The task was to find the x coordinate of the center of mass for the system of three blocks. After some attempts, the correct x coordinate was found to be 0.055543.
Heat

Homework Statement

Three odd-shaped blocks of chocolate have the following masses and center-of-mass coordinates:
(1) 0.310 kg, ( 0.200 m, 0.310 m);
(2) 0.410 kg, ( 0.110 m, -0.380 m);
(3) 0.200 kg, ( -0.280 m, 0.610 m).

Find the x coordinate of the center of mass of the system of three chocolate blocks.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I commenced,

I took (mass1*x1+mass2*x2+mass3*x3)/(m1+m2+m3) and got .051

this should be right but I got it wrong. I then redid the calculation and this time I got .05
not that much difference, I only got one try left, and don't think this is right because they are so close together.

I did the y the same way and got it right. :S

Please and thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, then you have put in the wrong numbers somewhere (I assume that even though you have written m3*x2, that should read m3*x3)
It is impossible for us to know how you clicked about on your calculator.

You should, at least, calculate the following:
[tex]\frac{0.310*0.200+0.410*0.110-0.2*0.28}{0.92}=\frac{0.062+0.0451-0.056}{0.92}=\frac{0.0457}{0.92}[/tex]
which ought to be about what you've found already..

Last edited:
for some reason, either my calculator is wack, for the numerator I keep on getting

.062+.0451-.056 = .0511

for the denominator I get .92

.0511/.92 = .055543478

:cry:

edit: I tried it on windows, and I get .0511 too. :O

for your x i got .055543. try that and see if it works. I did it how you had it up there and that is what I got. I did this on my homework yesterday and got it right so it should be right. :)

yep, it's right thanks. I it just as it showed in the calculator this time without any rounding. :)

thank you princessfrost and arildno for your help.

What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed, meaning that if the object were balanced on that point, it would not tip in any direction.

How is the center of mass calculated?

In general, the center of mass can be calculated by taking the sum of each individual mass multiplied by its distance from a reference point, and dividing by the total mass of the object. In the case of finding the center of mass of 3 chocolate blocks, the x-coordinate can be calculated by taking the sum of each block's mass multiplied by its x-coordinate, and dividing by the total mass of the 3 blocks.

What are the necessary measurements needed to find the x-coordinate of the center of mass?

To find the x-coordinate of the center of mass of 3 chocolate blocks, you will need to know the mass of each individual block, as well as the x-coordinate of each block's center. These measurements can be obtained by weighing the blocks and measuring their dimensions.

What assumptions are made when finding the center of mass of 3 chocolate blocks?

When finding the center of mass of 3 chocolate blocks, it is assumed that the blocks are uniform in density and shape. It is also assumed that the blocks are rigid, meaning that they do not deform under pressure or when stacked on top of each other.

Why is finding the center of mass important in science?

Finding the center of mass is important in science because it allows us to analyze the stability and balance of objects, as well as predict their motion and behavior. It is also used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to study the distribution of mass within systems.