1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find total ionic (balanced equation) for this particular reaction.

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the total ionic (balanced) equation of the reaction of calcium hydroxide and phosphoric acid in aqueous solution.

2. Relevant equations

Solubility rules

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I balanced the reaction.
    3Ca(OH)2 + 2H3PO4 --> Ca3(PO4)2 + 6H2O
    The part I'm stuck at is I dont know what to break up and what to leave. I know the solubility rules, but for some reason I keep getting this question wrong.

I know that Ca(OH)2 can break up into 3Ca2+ + 6OH-
    But is that the only one that breaks up?
    I looked it up and I'm getting mixed results. Please help me if you can. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what the correct answer is, as unfortunately it depends on what the teacher had on mind :frown:

Calcium hydroxide is weakly soluble (so mostly present as a solid), but it is a strong base (so it is 100% dissociated).

Phosphoric acid is a weak acid, so in typical solution it will be dissociated only partially, and only the first proton will be dissociated in substantial amounts (for example in 1M solution about 8%), yet it can react all the way down to PO43-.

Apparently you are expected to ignore some of these information and give answer based on some general (but not always correct) rules.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much. I figured it out. They wanted me to look as phosphoric acid and calcium phosphate, both as insoluble. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook