1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A linear transformation with Matrix A = ##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    5&4&2\\
    4&5&2\\
    2&2&2
    \end{pmatrix} ## has eigenvalues 1 and 10. Find two linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 1.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I know from the trace of matrix A that eigenvalue 1 has a multiplicity of 2 and that eigenvalue 10 has a multiplicity of 1. Solving for eigenvectors corresponding for ## \lambda = 1 ##, pretend it's an augmented matrix...
    ##
    \begin{pmatrix}
    4&4&2\\
    4&4&2\\
    2&2&1
    \end{pmatrix}
    R_2 ->R_2 - R_1;
    R_3 ->R_3 - \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot R_2 =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    4&4&2\\
    0&0&0\\
    0&0&0
    \end{pmatrix}
    R_1-> \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot R_1 =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    2&2&1\\
    0&0&0\\
    0&0&0
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##
    Therefore ##x_2## and ##x_3## are arbitrary. Solving for ##x_1## gives $$x_1=-x_2-\dfrac{1}{2} x_3$$ $$x_2=x_2$$ $$x_3=x_3$$
    $$v= \begin{pmatrix}
    -x_2-\dfrac{1}{2} x_3\\
    x_2\\
    x_3
    \end{pmatrix} $$
    ##v= x_2 \begin{pmatrix}
    -1 \\
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix} +
    x_3 \begin{pmatrix}
    -1 \\
    0 \\
    \end{pmatrix} ## Now those are the two eigenvectors I got however the answer in my book says the two eigenvectors are ##v_1=<1,0,-2>## and ##v_2=<0,1,-2>##

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your eigenvectors are correct, which I verified by multiplying them on the left by your matrix, with both multiplications resulting in 1 times the eigenvector.
    The book's first eigenvector is the -1 multiple of your second eigenvector. Their second eigenvector is not a scalar multiple of your first eigenvector, but it still is an eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue 1. Your two vectors and the book's two vectors span the same two-dim. subspace of R3, so all is good.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
    Okay thanks!

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In the book's solution, they solved for ##x_3 = -2 x_1 -2 x_2##, so ##x_1## and ##x_2## ended up being arbitrary instead of ##x_2## and ##x_3## as in your case.

6. Apr 19, 2015 #5
    Oh, so that's where they're getting that eigenvector from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted