Find typical energy of nuclei in solar core

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core and the thermal energy needed for a proton to overcome the Coulomb barrier and reach the range of strong nuclear force. The equations used are 3/2 kbT for typical energy and ke2/r for Coulomb barrier energy. The solution suggests a temperature of 10^10K is required to break the barrier.
ck99

Homework Statement

Calculate the typical energy of nuclei in solar core. Calculate thermal energy required for a proton to overcome the Coulomb barrier and get within range of strong nuclear force (10^-15m)

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the core temp as 1.5 x 10^6 K. I know that typical nuclei will have mass mp which is 1.67 x 10^-27kg.

I am sure there must be a simple equation to work this out, but I've never come across it before! I know that the point of the question is to illustrate that fusion reactions would not occur at this temp without quantum tunneling. (Eg typical thermal energy is NOT enough to overcome Coulomb barrier.)

Physics news on Phys.org
A cup of tea and a browse of wikipedia has led me to the following attempt:

Typical energy = 3/2 kbT = 3.1 x 10-17J

Coulomb repulsion barrier energy = ke2/r = 2.3 x 10-13J

Rearrange the first formula to find that the temperature required to break the Couloumb barrier is approx 10^10K.

Is that the correct approach? (Feel embarrassed about posting this now, I knew it would be simple!)

1. What is the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core?

The typical energy of nuclei in the solar core is approximately 1.3 keV (kilo electron volts). This energy is generated through nuclear fusion reactions that take place in the core of the Sun.

2. How is the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core calculated?

The typical energy of nuclei in the solar core is calculated through the use of mathematical models and observations of the Sun's core. This includes measuring the temperature and density of the core, as well as the nuclear reaction rates that occur within it.

3. Why is it important to know the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core?

Understanding the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core is crucial for understanding the processes that power the Sun and other stars. It also helps us to better understand the behavior and evolution of our own star, as well as the formation of other stars in the universe.

4. Does the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core change over time?

Yes, the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core is constantly changing as the Sun goes through different stages of its life cycle. As the core runs out of hydrogen fuel, it will undergo changes in temperature and density, which will in turn affect the typical energy of the nuclei within it.

5. How does the typical energy of nuclei in the solar core compare to other sources of energy on Earth?

The typical energy of nuclei in the solar core is incredibly high compared to other sources of energy on Earth. For example, the typical energy of chemical reactions such as burning fossil fuels is only a few electron volts, whereas nuclear reactions in the Sun's core can reach energies of millions of electron volts.