Find Values of c and f that make h continuous

  • Thread starter Thread starter Painguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuous
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Painguy
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


{ 2x if x<1
h(x)= { cx^2+d if 1<=x<=2
{ 4x if x>2


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


It tried taking the limit of 2x and cx^2+d at x->1 (from both sides) and set them equal to each other. I did the same for 2 as well, but i got stuck after that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
After evaluating those 2 i get 2=c+d and 8=4c+d. I'm not quite sure what to do now
 
Painguy said:
After evaluating those 2 i get 2=c+d and 8=4c+d. I'm not quite sure what to do now

Are you saying that you do not know how to solve two simple linear equations in two unknowns? Have you really never, ever, seen problems like that before?

RGV
 
Ray Vickson said:
Are you saying that you do not know how to solve two simple linear equations in two unknowns? Have you really never, ever, seen problems like that before?

RGV

OH well I am blind...excuse my stupidity thank you for your help