Find values of sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, and cot without a calculator

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to find values of trigonometric functions without using a calculator. The relevant information includes having memorized values for certain angles and understanding the positive and negative values of trig functions in specific quadrants. The solution involves using identities and techniques such as drawing angles on a graph.
Ryuk1990

Homework Statement

I'm wondering how you would find values of sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, and cot without a calculator. I don't have a specific problem but how would you solve things like tan 45 degrees, sec 30 degrees, and cos -30 degrees?

2. Relevant info

I have the values of sin and cos memorized for 0, 30, 45, 60, 90, 180, and 270 degrees. There is a technique to solving the problems above knowing whether the trig functions are positive or negative in specific quadrants. How is that relevant to solving for the values?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve some of the above using identities. For example, tan 45 is just sin 45/cos 45 which is 1. For sec 30, I believe it's just 1/cos 45 so it'd be 1/([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/2).

I don't know how to solve cos -30. How would you solve the problems without identities? There is a way knowing when the functions are positive/negative in the quadrants. It also has something to do with adding and subtracting the angle measurement. Can someone explain the technique please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ryuk1990! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a degree: º and a theta: θ :wink:)

Use sin = opp/hyp, cos = adj/hyp, tan = opp/adj, plus the fact that a 45º triangle is half a square, and a 30º or 60º triangle is half an equilateral triangle. :smile:

(but sec30º = 1/cos30º, of course)
I don't know how to solve cos -30. How would you solve the problems without identities? There is a way knowing when the functions are positive/negative in the quadrants. It also has something to do with adding and subtracting the angle measurement. Can someone explain the technique please?

Personally, I always use the formula for cos(180º ± θ), also cos(-θ) = cosθ, sin(-θ) = -sinθ.

But you can also do it by drawing the angle on a graph, and using x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ (so eg in the second quadrant, x is negative but y is positive, so cos is negative but sin is positive).

1. How do I find the value of sin without a calculator?

To find the value of sin without a calculator, you can use the unit circle or trigonometric identities. In the unit circle, the y-coordinate of a point on the circle represents the sine value for that angle. You can also use the trigonometric identity sin(x) = cos(90-x) to find the value of sin for an angle that is complementary to the given angle.

2. What is the process for finding the value of cos without a calculator?

Similar to finding the value of sin, you can use the unit circle or trigonometric identities to find the value of cos without a calculator. In the unit circle, the x-coordinate of a point on the circle represents the cosine value for that angle. You can also use the trigonometric identity cos(x) = sin(90-x) to find the value of cos for an angle that is complementary to the given angle.

3. How can I determine the value of tan without a calculator?

To find the value of tan without a calculator, you can use the unit circle or trigonometric identities. In the unit circle, the y-coordinate divided by the x-coordinate of a point on the circle represents the tangent value for that angle. You can also use the trigonometric identity tan(x) = 1/cot(x) to find the value of tan if you are able to find the cotangent value.

4. Is there a way to find the value of sec without a calculator?

Yes, you can use the unit circle or trigonometric identities to find the value of sec without a calculator. In the unit circle, the x-coordinate divided by the hypotenuse of a point on the circle represents the secant value for that angle. You can also use the trigonometric identity sec(x) = 1/cos(x) to find the value of sec for a given angle.

5. Are there any tricks to finding the value of csc without a calculator?

To find the value of csc without a calculator, you can use the unit circle or trigonometric identities. In the unit circle, the y-coordinate divided by the hypotenuse of a point on the circle represents the cosecant value for that angle. You can also use the trigonometric identity csc(x) = 1/sin(x) to find the value of csc for a given angle.