1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Velocity given Force and Mass

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4.80 kg object initially at rest at the origin is subjected to the time-varying force shown in the figure

What is the object's velocity at t =6 s ?

2. Relevant equations

F = ma ????????

3. The attempt at a solution

I guessed that the answer was 4.17 m/s (by doing a lot of googling), which was correct but i have no idea how to do this problem if it were on a test.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2
    Well, There is a formula which states that

[tex]v=at[/tex]

where v is the final velocity, a is the (average) acceleration and t is the time the body accelerates.

This is a pretty intuitive formula if you think a little bit about it. The acceleration is unknown, but you can express it in terms of F and m (since you know that [tex]F=ma[/tex])

Combining these gives

[tex]v_{final}=\frac{F}{m} t[/tex]

This we can write as

[tex]v_{final}=\frac{Ft}{m}[/tex]

[tex]Ft[/tex] represents the integral (area under the graph) from 0-4 seconds. If/after you study more differential math this will also be intuitive.

Does this help?

Notice that the body doesn't accelerate after 4 seconds, since no force acts on it, and thus its speed stays constant. In other words the body has the same speed at 4 seconds and 6 seconds (if opposing forces are assumed to be small)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. Mar 17, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi alexas! :smile:

I assume you knew that F = ma, or force = mass times acceleration, and so you could get the acceleration from the graph by dividing by 4.8

ok … draw a new graph (in your mind, if you like) …

it has acceleration against time …

how can you find the velocity just by looking at that graph? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook