Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find your address in Cretaceous times

1. Jun 13, 2018 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

http://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth#0 Earth now, takes while to load.
    You can scroll forward or backward: from Now to 750 million years ago

This really interesting program could become a useful learning tool in an Earth Science class.
    You can look up your address - I tried my US address. I had a lot of problems entering it. It would benefit greatly with a bit of information on how to enter an address.

During much of the time the address was under an inland sea, in the Ocean, or stuck in somewhere in downtown Pangaea. o0)

Have fun playing with it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2018 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

cheers Jim :smile:

I will wait till I get home from work for a play with a decent cable internet connection
    The internet connection for the computer at work is dreadfully slow ( the whole company system ... not just my PC)

Dave

4. Jun 13, 2018 #3
    That looks like a very promising teaching resource. I've tried many variation on address (including map coordinates, but not with success. The first time I tried my home address it suggested several possibilities as I was typing, but the selected one did not work. I have not been able to get the suggestions again.

I like that it adds mountains as they form.

5. Jun 14, 2018 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor

I gave away my iPad recently, but I used to have a great app on it of the globe (past and present). You could manually rotate it and it smoothly transitioned through times.

The map info is from Christopher Scotese, who has a Paleomap website.
    I got some things gratis from him because I was making an educational video (danio evolution, local geology/geography at the time).
    I think its a great teaching tool since it provides an understanding of existing features and situations from a
    • larger field of view (seeing more individual components); plus time, connecting locations of lumps at different times into a single thing moving.
    • from a generative point of view (how current things were generated).

6. Jun 14, 2018 #5
    Given what BillTre posted and following the link he provided and the credits link on dinosaurpictures.org, it looks like the option to add an address would work in the original program on an iOS device with location services turned on. (That is laid out here.) I am guessing it will not work on the web page.

7. Jun 14, 2018 #6

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I got an email from Ian Webster - the problem is them. Apparently the address routine cannot handle the volume of requests. He indicated that a change was made last night at about 11:30 my time (MDT +7). I'm still having problems as well.

8. Jun 14, 2018 #7
    That is helpful to know. Thank you.

Even without entering my address, I can see that I am currently on the eastern limb of small mountains, whereas I was on the western flank of of huge mountains in the carboniferous.

There is substantial potential for shifting student perspective with this tool.

9. Jun 14, 2018 #8

I will be playing with this for next few days / weeks

Brilliant thanks

10. Jun 14, 2018 #9

ChemAir

Gold Member

:woot:

Very cool. Thanks.

11. Jun 15, 2018 #10
    The map does not actually load. One sees a globe covered with scattered Rorschach images and lots of dots. Probably a very slow connection.

12. Jun 19, 2018 #11
    I can't believe my whole island (Sardinia) didn't exist 20 million years ago!!! ...And that at that time it seemed "stuck" to France. ... ?:)

13. Jun 19, 2018 #12
    OK 20 million years ago my house was a pink dot. I will wait for the movie to come out.

14. Jul 1, 2018 #13
    Interesting to see how and when Kentucky was under water. It was a long, long time ago. At the Georgia O'Keefe homestead (Ghost Ranch) in New Mexico, there is a museum featuring the fossils found in that escarpment from 220 million years ago. The Ghost Ranch produced the largest find of Triassic fossils anywhere in the world. It seems that the desert Southwest in the USA has been dry for eons and eons and the animated globe shows that it was underwater, but a very long time ago. The cliffs on the ranch have strata stemming from Triassic to present day in neat, orderly layers. How the 6,000 old Earth folks can't figure this out is besides me.

15. Jul 6, 2018 #14
    Great fun...I simply added the town and location in general and was happy to see that I wasn't always under water. Perhaps some more info regarding the receding and advancing of the ice ages could be factored. I found it very informative TYVM~!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted