Find your address in Cretaceous times

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, this program is a useful learning tool for Earth Science students. It has potential for generating new perspectives on familiar topics. The map does not load, and it would be helpful to have more information on how to enter an address.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth#0 Earth now, takes while to load.
You can scroll forward or backward: from Now to 750 million years ago

This really interesting program could become a useful learning tool in an Earth Science class.
You can look up your address - I tried my US address. I had a lot of problems entering it. It would benefit greatly with a bit of information on how to enter an address.

During much of the time the address was under an inland sea, in the Ocean, or stuck in somewhere in downtown Pangaea. o0)

Have fun playing with it.

Last edited:
Likes DrStupid, Laroxe, pinball1970 and 7 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:

cheers Jim :smile:

I will wait till I get home from work for a play with a decent cable internet connection
The internet connection for the computer at work is dreadfully slow ( the whole company system ... not just my PC)Dave

That looks like a very promising teaching resource. I've tried many variation on address (including map coordinates, but not with success. The first time I tried my home address it suggested several possibilities as I was typing, but the selected one did not work. I have not been able to get the suggestions again.

I like that it adds mountains as they form.

I gave away my iPad recently, but I used to have a great app on it of the globe (past and present). You could manually rotate it and it smoothly transitioned through times.

The map info is from Christopher Scotese, who has a Paleomap website.
I got some things gratis from him because I was making an educational video (danio evolution, local geology/geography at the time).
I think its a great teaching tool since it provides an understanding of existing features and situations from a
  • larger field of view (seeing more individual components); plus time, connecting locations of lumps at different times into a single thing moving.
  • from a generative point of view (how current things were generated).

Given what BillTre posted and following the link he provided and the credits link on dinosaurpictures.org, it looks like the option to add an address would work in the original program on an iOS device with location services turned on. (That is laid out here.) I am guessing it will not work on the web page.

I got an email from Ian Webster - the problem is them. Apparently the address routine cannot handle the volume of requests. He indicated that a change was made last night at about 11:30 my time (MDT +7). I'm still having problems as well.

I got an email from Ian Webster - the problem is them.
That is helpful to know. Thank you.

Even without entering my address, I can see that I am currently on the eastern limb of small mountains, whereas I was on the western flank of of huge mountains in the carboniferous.

There is substantial potential for shifting student perspective with this tool.

jim mcnamara said:
http://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth#0 Earth now, takes while to load.
You can scroll forward or backward: from Now to 750 million years ago

This really interesting program could become a useful learning tool in an Earth Science class.
You can look up your address - I tried my US address. I had a lot of problems entering it. It would benefit greatly with a bit of information on how to enter an address.

During much of the time the address was under an inland sea, in the Ocean, or stuck in somewhere in downtown Pangaea. o0)

I will be playing with this for next few days / weeksBrilliant thanks

Likes Laroxe
jim mcnamara said:

:woot:

Very cool. Thanks.

The map does not actually load. One sees a globe covered with scattered Rorschach images and lots of dots. Probably a very slow connection.

I can't believe my whole island (Sardinia) didn't exist 20 million years ago! ...And that at that time it seemed "stuck" to France. ... ?:)

OK 20 million years ago my house was a pink dot. I will wait for the movie to come out.

Interesting to see how and when Kentucky was under water. It was a long, long time ago. At the Georgia O'Keefe homestead (Ghost Ranch) in New Mexico, there is a museum featuring the fossils found in that escarpment from 220 million years ago. The Ghost Ranch produced the largest find of Triassic fossils anywhere in the world. It seems that the desert Southwest in the USA has been dry for eons and eons and the animated globe shows that it was underwater, but a very long time ago. The cliffs on the ranch have strata stemming from Triassic to present day in neat, orderly layers. How the 6,000 old Earth folks can't figure this out is besides me.

Great fun...I simply added the town and location in general and was happy to see that I wasn't always under water. Perhaps some more info regarding the receding and advancing of the ice ages could be factored. I found it very informative TYVM~!

1. How accurate is the process of finding an address in Cretaceous times?

The process of finding an address in Cretaceous times relies on scientific research and data to accurately reconstruct the geography and environment of that time period. While it may not be 100% precise, it is based on the most current and reliable information available.

2. Can I use this information to actually travel back in time to the Cretaceous period?

No, this process is purely theoretical and is meant to provide a visualization of what an address would look like during that time. Time travel is currently not possible.

3. What tools and techniques are used to find an address in Cretaceous times?

Scientists use a combination of geological mapping, fossil records, and computer modeling to accurately recreate the geography and landscape of the Cretaceous period. They also use data from modern-day organisms and their evolutionary ancestors to further inform their findings.

4. How far back in time can an address be found using this process?

The accuracy of finding an address in the past depends on the availability and reliability of scientific data. Currently, the process can accurately depict addresses up to the Cretaceous period, which occurred approximately 145-66 million years ago.

5. Why is finding an address in Cretaceous times important?

Understanding the past is crucial for understanding the present and future. By finding an address in Cretaceous times, scientists can gain insight into the Earth's history, the evolution of different species, and the impact of environmental changes on the planet. This information can also help us make more informed decisions about our current and future actions on the Earth.