Finding 2nd partial derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of chain rule in finding the first and second partial derivatives. The speaker is confused about how the second partial derivative was formulated and questions if it is a valid operation. The conversation also touches on finding the third partial derivative and the intuition behind the process. The expert summarizes that the simple form of the second derivative is a result of applying the partial derivative twice. The method is also used for subsequent problems, but it is not squaring the derivative, rather applying it twice.
MathewsMD
I've attached an image to this post. It essentially shows the equation for the first partial derivative using chain rule, which makes sense. What I'm confused with is how the second partial derivative was formulated. It seems they've simply squared the first partial derivative to find the second partial derivative. It seems a little odd but is this a valid operation? Would I cube it to find the 3rd partial derivative? Could anyone possibly explain the intuition behind why this is allowed (possibly directing me to a proof to also explain, if possible)?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 4.29.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 4.29.51 PM.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 427
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You haven't supplied the full picture. What is equation 2.2?

mathman said:
You haven't supplied the full picture. What is equation 2.2?

My apologies, equation 2.2:

t = t'
x = x' - vt' = x' - vt

Any thoughts? I feel like I'm missing something very fundamental here...

I haven't gone through the analysis, but I suspect the simple form of the second derivative results from t=t'.

mathman said:
I haven't gone through the analysis, but I suspect the simple form of the second derivative results from t=t'.

The same method is used for subsequent problems where this isn't necessarily true

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 6.58.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 6.58.52 PM.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 427
They are not "squaring", they are applying the partial derivative twice. Just as [itex]\frac{d^2 f}{dx^2}= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)[/itex] so that we can write the second derivative operator as [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}= \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{d}{dt}\right)[/itex].

Likes MathewsMD

What is a 2nd partial derivative?

A 2nd partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to two independent variables. It is the derivative of the derivative of a function and is denoted as f''(x,y) or ∂2 f/∂x∂y.

Why is it important to find 2nd partial derivatives?

2nd partial derivatives are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions. They can give us information about the shape of a surface, the direction of maximum increase or decrease, and the curvature of a curve at a particular point.

How do you find 2nd partial derivatives?

To find the 2nd partial derivative of a function, you first take the partial derivative with respect to one variable while keeping the other variable constant. Then, you take the partial derivative of the resulting function with respect to the other variable while keeping the first variable constant. This process can be repeated for higher order partial derivatives.

What is the difference between 1st and 2nd partial derivatives?

The 1st partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one independent variable, while the 2nd partial derivative measures the rate of change of the 1st partial derivative with respect to a different independent variable. In other words, the 2nd partial derivative tells us how the slope of a function changes as we move along a different axis.

In what real-life applications are 2nd partial derivatives used?

2nd partial derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. Some real-life applications include determining the optimal production levels for a company, predicting the trajectory of a moving object, and analyzing the stability of a financial system. They are also commonly used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic 3D images.