Finding a basis of eigenvectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors for a given matrix A and determining the dimension of the null space using a theorem. The method of finding eigenvectors is also discussed and confirmed to be correct. The conversation ends with a clarification on the relation between the rank and nullity of a matrix and how it can be determined using Gaussian elimination/row-reduction.
Catchfire

Homework Statement

[itex]
A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 0 & -1 \\
4 & 1 & -4 \\
2 & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)
[/itex]

Find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors that form a basis over R3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so I've found the characteristic polynomial: -λ(λ-1)2
so I know my eigenvalues are 0,1,1

Then to find the eigenvectors I sub the eigenvalues into the matrix A - λI

[itex]
A - 0I = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 0 & -1 \\
4 & 1 & -4 \\
2 & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)
[/itex]

then I solve:
2x -z = 0
4x + y -4z = 0

z = 2x
y = 4x

so my eigenvector is (1,4,2)

[itex]
A - 1I = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & -1 \\
4 & 0 & -4 \\
2 & 0 & -2 \end{array} \right)
[/itex]

x = z

so the eigenvector is (1,0,1)

Now I'm out of new eigenvalues to substitute. How do I find the last eigenvector?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rank of the second matrix is 1, so there are two independent eigenvectors to get from it.

So are you saying dim(A) = rank(A) + nullity(A)
and since dim(A-I) = 3 and rank(A-I) = 1, then nullity(A-I) = 2, implying I need two vectors from A-I.Ahh I see where I messed up, since there is no y values I can write y = a for any a in R.
So really my eigenvectors are (1,a,1) and (0,b,0).

Is all of this correct?

Catchfire said:
So are you saying dim(A) = rank(A) + nullity(A)
and since dim(A-I) = 3 and rank(A-I) = 1, then nullity(A-I) = 2, implying I need two vectors from A-I.Ahh I see where I messed up, since there is no y values I can write y = a for any a in R.
So really my eigenvectors are (1,a,1) and (0,b,0).

Is all of this correct?

What is preventing you from substituting these vectors into the equation to check if they work?

RGV

Last edited:
Nothing, but I already know the answers to the problem. I just wanted to make sure my reasoning was correct and that I understood what theorem voko was citing.

Can you lend a hand with any of that? It would much appreciated if you could.

I do not remember whether that theorem has any particular name, but it states that the dimension of the solution space of a homogeneous linear system is the dimension of the system minus its rank. And you got that correctly.

Catchfire said:
Nothing, but I already know the answers to the problem. I just wanted to make sure my reasoning was correct and that I understood what theorem voko was citing.

Can you lend a hand with any of that? It would much appreciated if you could.

But YOU yourself already cited the result in your post!

In the present case the 3x3 matrix is so simple that one can spot immediately that it has rank 1. In more complex cases (say a 5x5 or a 10x10 matrix), finding the rank involves essentially the same algorithm that one uses to solve the system Ax=0 (Gaussian elimination/row-reduction), so you determine the dimension of the null space (and find a basis for it) at the same time that you find the rank.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
In more complex cases (say a 5x5 or a 10x10 matrix), finding the rank involves essentially the same algorithm that one uses to solve the system Ax=0 (Gaussian elimination/row-reduction), so you determine the dimension of the null space (and find a basis for it) at the same time that you find the rank.

Well, in the case of eigenvectors one knows the rank even before that.

voko said:
Well, in the case of eigenvectors one knows the rank even before that.

No. The algebraic and geometric miltiplicities may differ, in which case the dimension of the null space can be less than the multiplicity. That is why the Jordan form is sometimes non-diagonal.

RGV

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help.

1. What is a basis of eigenvectors?

A basis of eigenvectors is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire vector space of a given matrix. These vectors correspond to the eigenvalues of the matrix and can be used to simplify computations and solve systems of equations.

2. Why is finding a basis of eigenvectors important?

Finding a basis of eigenvectors is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and transformations of a matrix. It also helps us to simplify calculations and solve problems related to the matrix, such as finding the diagonal form or solving differential equations.

3. How do you find a basis of eigenvectors?

To find a basis of eigenvectors, we first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, we can solve the equation (A - λI)v = 0, where A is the given matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and v is the corresponding eigenvector. The set of all eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue will form the basis of eigenvectors.

4. Can a matrix have more than one basis of eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases of eigenvectors. This is because there can be different sets of linearly independent eigenvectors that span the same vector space. However, the number of eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue will always be the same, known as the geometric multiplicity.

5. What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are closely related, as eigenvectors are the vectors that are multiplied by a scalar factor (the eigenvalue) when multiplied by a given matrix. The eigenvalues correspond to the scaling factor of each eigenvector, and together they form the basis of eigenvectors for the matrix.