1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a complex Taylor series

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not much has gotten me in this class, and I almost want to say this has to be a typo, but I want someone else to check it out first.

Homework question is that we need to show that

cos(cos θ)*cosh(sin θ) = Ʃ(-1)ncos(nθ)/(2n)! for n>=0

There is a similar one involving sin and sinh, but if the problem is sorted out here on this one, I can fix it for the other one.

2. Relevant equations

Since cosh(x) = cos(i*x), I can rewrite my original function as

cos(cos θ)*cos(i*sin θ).

3. The attempt at a solution

Using a product-to-sum trig identity, this eventually gets me to

1/2*[cos(exp(-iθ))+cos(exp(iθ))].

But because of the Taylor series for cosine, I end up with an exp(-2inθ) and exp(2inθ).

So I end up getting the series I expect, except I have a cos(2nθ) which does not match. Is there a division by 2 I'm missing somewhere or some quirky identity that makes it true that cos(2nθ)=cos(nθ)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No quirky identity can make cos(2nθ)=cos(nθ), because it's not true. I think you are right and there is a typo in the solution.

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying. I'll point it out on Monday in class and hopefully I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook