Finding a complex Taylor series

In summary, the conversation involved a student asking for help with a homework problem involving trigonometric identities. They had attempted to use a product-to-sum identity and the Taylor series for cosine, but were unable to match the expected series due to a discrepancy with cos(2nθ). Another student pointed out that there may be a typo in the solution, which the first student planned to address in class.
dochalladay32

Homework Statement

Not much has gotten me in this class, and I almost want to say this has to be a typo, but I want someone else to check it out first.

Homework question is that we need to show that

cos(cos θ)*cosh(sin θ) = Ʃ(-1)ncos(nθ)/(2n)! for n>=0

There is a similar one involving sin and sinh, but if the problem is sorted out here on this one, I can fix it for the other one.

Homework Equations

Since cosh(x) = cos(i*x), I can rewrite my original function as

cos(cos θ)*cos(i*sin θ).

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a product-to-sum trig identity, this eventually gets me to

1/2*[cos(exp(-iθ))+cos(exp(iθ))].

But because of the Taylor series for cosine, I end up with an exp(-2inθ) and exp(2inθ).

So I end up getting the series I expect, except I have a cos(2nθ) which does not match. Is there a division by 2 I'm missing somewhere or some quirky identity that makes it true that cos(2nθ)=cos(nθ)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No quirky identity can make cos(2nθ)=cos(nθ), because it's not true. I think you are right and there is a typo in the solution.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying. I'll point it out on Monday in class and hopefully I'm not the only one that noticed that.

1. What is a Taylor series and why is it important?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. It is important because it allows us to approximate complicated functions using simpler polynomials, making it easier to perform calculations and make predictions in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How do I find a Taylor series for a specific function?

To find a Taylor series for a function, you need to use the Taylor series formula which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula. The number of terms in the series will depend on the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is a complex Taylor series and when is it used?

A complex Taylor series is a Taylor series where the function and the terms in the series involve complex numbers. It is used when working with complex functions and can help in solving problems in areas such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing.

4. How do I know if a Taylor series is a good approximation of a function?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation is dependent on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms included, the closer the approximation will be to the original function. Generally, a good approximation is achieved when the terms in the series decrease rapidly and the remainder term is small.

5. Can a Taylor series be used to find the value of a function at any point?

Yes, a Taylor series can be used to find the value of a function at any point within its convergence interval. However, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as you move further away from the point where the series is centered.