1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a constant that makes the differential equation hold

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1

s3a

I get a = -49/4, 0, 49/4 by using the characteristic equation and quadratic formula and searching for values of a inside of the square root for which a is 0 or greater which isn't correct apparently. I've also wondered if the inside of the root should be less than 0 such that I can get a solution involving complex numbers using natural exponents which could lead me to the trigonometry involving reals but I don't have any concrete plans on getting this to work if this is what I am supposed to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: Added the question.

Attached Files:

• P9.jpg
      P9.jpg
      File size:
      11.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm sorry but since you haven't said what the differential equation is, it's impossible to understand what you are doing.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3

s3a

Oops! I just added the question!

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Solutions of such a second order, linear, differential equation can have three different forms:
    1) If the characteristic equation has a double real root, [itex]\alpha[/itex], then [itex]y= e^{\alpha x}(C_1+ C_2x)[/itex].

2) If the characteristic equation has two real roots, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex], [itex]y= C_1e^{\alpha x}+ C_2e^{\beta x}[/itex]

3) If the characteristic equation has two complex roots, [itex]\alpha+ \beta i[/itex] and [itex]\alpha- \beta i[/itex], [itex]y= e^{\alpha x}(C_1 cos(\beta x)+ C_2 sin(\beta))[/itex]

Now use the conditions y(0)= 0, y(7)= 0 to determine what those constants must be. What must a be in order that we are not forced to [itex]C_1= C_2= 0[/itex]?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. Feb 18, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to show your work.

RGV

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6

s3a

I attached my initial work.

Also, HallsofIvy, I don't know how to proceed but I understand the constants should not have to be 0. Do the next steps involve trigonometry?

Attached Files:

8. Feb 18, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't give any reason for "choosing" a as you say.

I pointed out that if the characteristic equation has a double root (49- 4a= 0) the solution must be of the form [itex]e^{\alpha x}(C_1+ C_2x)[/itex]. Now apply the boundary conditions: [itex]y(0)= e^0(C_1+ C_2(0))= C_1= 0[/itex] and [itex]y(7)= e^{7\alpha}(C_2(7))= 0[/itex] which gives [itex]C_2= 0[/itex]. So if a= 49/4, both [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] must be 0 which means y is never non-zero. a= 49/4 is NOT an answer.

Now, try the other two cases.

9. Feb 18, 2012 #8

s3a

My current reasoning is to find a value to substitute for x which involves an a such that the whole thing is equal to 0 since x = 0 and x = 7 satisfy the boundary conditions but that has also failed. I attached my latest work.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook