1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a convergent subsequence does the sequence need to be bounded

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1

ppy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2.11. Determine (explicitly) a convergent subsequence of the sequence in R2 given for n =
    1; 2; : : : by
    xn =(e[itex]^{n}[/itex]sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]/7),((4n+3/3n+4)cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]/3))

I know that the Bolzano-weierstrass theorem says that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. I thought I should first check that the xn is bounded by checking each individual co-ordinate. however isn't x[itex]_{n,1}[/itex] not bounded? Therefore surely x[itex]_{n}[/itex] cannot have a convergent subsequence? as doesn't it just go to infinity? Help needed urgently!!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Being unbounded doesn't necessarily mean a sequence has no convergent sequences. Think about the x and y coordinates separately. Can you find a convergent sequence of the x coordinate.

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3
    The B-W theorem doesn't say that if a sequence has a convergent subsequence it is bounded. Look at the first component. We know a priori that ##e^n## is headed for ##\infty##. So the only hope for a convergent subsequence on that component is to pick values of n where the sin pulls things down. What do you know about sin(n##\pi##)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted