Finding a Factor's Contribution to An Average of a Product

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Spanky1996
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Average Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Spanky1996
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Say that there is an object

[tex]X = <ABC> = (A_1B_1C_1+A_2B_2C_2+...+A_NB_NC_N)/N[/tex]

Is there any way to say what [tex]X_A[/tex] is? Or what exactly the A term in all of these terms contributed to X? Or is that info pretty much washed out in this type of ensemble average?

Oh, and A, B and C are random values. I will say, in my problem they do differ by about an order of magnitude from each other.

Thanks for any insights.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spanky1996 said:
Is there any way to say what ##X_A## is
First you have to define it ...

Next you are interested in the probability distributions of your stochastic variables. Are the variables independent ?

Spanky1996 said:
they do differ by about an order of magnitude from each other
I think that's less interesting: you can divide each variable by a scale factor without doing much damage.

It's fun playing with Monte Carlo's in Excel: make three columns of a thousand ' =rand() ' cells each and make a histogram of the products
Look at average and stdev for each column
Compare with ' =rand() - 0.5 '
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Spanky1996
BvU said:
First you have to define it ...

Next you are interested in the probability distributions of your stochastic variables. Are the variables independent ?I think that's less interesting: you can divide each variable by a scale factor without doing much damage.

It's fun playing with Monte Carlo's in Excel: make three columns of a thousand ' =rand() ' cells each and make a histogram of the products
Look at average and stdev for each column
Compare with ' =rand() - 0.5 '
I am actually doing monte Carlo simulations, bravo.

I guess defining it is my issue. I'm not sure how one can define/examine what role the set of A's had in whatever the final answer is for X.

The variables are independent.

I was thinking of doing something similar to what you suggest in your last paragraph. I don't understand the last bit though '=rand()-0.5' what is that?

Thank you for your interest!
 
Spanky1996 said:
'=rand()-0.5' what is that
Gives a different average (of course) and sigma (!) and a different histogram :smile:
 
what else can you tell us about these random variables-- Is there a second moment?

also I typically wonder: are they positive valued? are they bounded?