Finding $a$ for a Degenerate BFS in Given System of Restrictions

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter evinda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
42 replies · 8K views
evinda said:
Don't we also have to check the case where we have the following tableau:

$\begin{matrix}
B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & P_5 & \theta & \\
P_3 & 4-\frac{6}{a} & 1-\frac{2}{a} & 0 & 1 & 0 & -\frac{2}{a} & & L_1'=L_1-2L_3'\\ \\
P_4 & 2-\frac{3}{a} & 2-\frac{1}{a} & 0 & 0 & 1 & -\frac{1}{a} & & L_2'=L_2-L_3'\\ \\
P_2 & \frac{3}{a} & \frac{1}{a} & 1 & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{a} & & L_3'=\frac{L_3}{a}
\end{matrix}$

where $a> \frac{3}{2}$

and we choose $P_1$ to get in the basis instead of $P_5$ ?

Ah, did we miss that one?
Yes, we should also check that one. (Nod)

The corresponding graph is:
View attachment 5111
The tableau corresponds to the intersection of the green line with the y-axis.
If we bring in $P_1$ and leave $P_3$, we move to the intersection of the blue line with the green line. (Nerd)
Hmm... didn't we already do that? (Wondering)
 
Attachments
  • LP_degenerate_2.png
    LP_degenerate_2.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 153
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Serena said:
Ah, did we miss that one?
Yes, we should also check that one. (Nod)

Then we get the following tableau, right?
$\begin{matrix}
B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & P_5 & & \theta & \\
P_3 & \frac{6a-9}{2a-1} & 0 & 0 & 1 & \frac{2-a}{2a-1} & \frac{3}{1-2a} & & &L_1''=L_1'-\left( 1-\frac{2}{a} \right )L_2'' \\ \\
P_1 & \frac{2-\frac{3}{a}}{2-\frac{1}{a}} & 1 & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2-\frac{1}{a}} & \frac{1}{1-2a} & & & L_2''=\frac{L_2'}{2-\frac{1}{a}}\\ \\
P_2 & \frac{4}{2a-1} & 0 & 1 & 0 & \frac{1}{1-2a} & \frac{2}{2a-1} & & &L_3''=L_3'-\frac{1}{a}L_2''
\end{matrix}$

This gives a non-degenerate basic feasible solution so we have to continue the algorithm. Right? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hmm... didn't we already do that? (Wondering)

Did we? At which point? (Thinking)
 
evinda said:
Then we get the following tableau, right?
$\begin{matrix}
B & b & P_1 & P_2 & P_3 & P_4 & P_5 & & \theta & \\
P_3 & \frac{6a-9}{2a-1} & 0 & 0 & 1 & \frac{2-a}{2a-1} & \frac{3}{1-2a} & & &L_1''=L_1'-\left( 1-\frac{2}{a} \right )L_2'' \\ \\
P_1 & \frac{2-\frac{3}{a}}{2-\frac{1}{a}} & 1 & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2-\frac{1}{a}} & \frac{1}{1-2a} & & & L_2''=\frac{L_2'}{2-\frac{1}{a}}\\ \\
P_2 & \frac{4}{2a-1} & 0 & 1 & 0 & \frac{1}{1-2a} & \frac{2}{2a-1} & & &L_3''=L_3'-\frac{1}{a}L_2''
\end{matrix}$

This gives a non-degenerate basic feasible solution so we have to continue the algorithm. Right? (Thinking)

I don't think that is a feasible solution for $a > \frac 32$.
Instead I think we should move to the basis $P_1, P_2, P_4$. (Thinking)
Did we? At which point? (Thinking)

Turns out we covered basis $P_2, P_3, P_4$ in post #7.
But I can't find basis $P_1, P_2, P_4$. (Nerd)
 
I like Serena said:
I don't think that is a feasible solution for $a > \frac 32$.

Why isn't it feasible? Aren't all the components positive? (Thinking)

$a> \frac{3}{2} \Rightarrow 2a>3 \Rightarrow 6a>9$

$2a>3 \Rightarrow 2a>1$

$\frac{2-\frac{3}{a}}{2-\frac{1}{a}}=\frac{2a-3}{2a-1}>0$
 
evinda said:
Why isn't it feasible? Aren't all the components positive? (Thinking)

$a> \frac{3}{2} \Rightarrow 2a>3 \Rightarrow 6a>9$

$2a>3 \Rightarrow 2a>1$

$\frac{2-\frac{3}{a}}{2-\frac{1}{a}}=\frac{2a-3}{2a-1}>0$

It shouldn't be feasible since it corresponds to the intersection of the red line (non-basic variable $P_4$)[/color] and the green line (non-basic variable $P_5$)[/color].
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5111
When $a > \frac 32$ that intersection should have either $x_2 < 0$ or $x_1 < 0$.
 
I like Serena said:
It shouldn't be feasible since it corresponds to the intersection of the red line (non-basic variable $P_4$)[/color] and the green line (non-basic variable $P_5$)[/color].

When $a > \frac 32$ that intersection should have either $x_2 < 0$ or $x_1 < 0$.

So have I done something wrong at the calculations? (Thinking)Which $a$ did you pick to draw the third inequality?
 
evinda said:
So have I done something wrong at the calculations? (Thinking)Which $a$ did you pick to draw the third inequality?

I picked $a=3$.
Oh wait. (Wait)
It's the intersection of the blue line (non-basic variable $P_4$)[/color] and the green line (non-basic variable $P_5$)[/color].
I made a mistake. (Blush).
 
I like Serena said:
It's the intersection of the blue line (non-basic variable $P_4$)[/color] and the green line (non-basic variable $P_5$)[/color].
I made a mistake. (Blush).

So we have to continue the algorithm, picking either the column $P_4$ or the column $P_5$, right?
 
If we choose $P_4$ to get in the basis we have to distinguish the cases:

  • $a \leq 2$ and
  • $a>2$

Right? (Thinking)
 
I like Serena said:
One way to find it, is to make a drawing, which will reveal where and when degeneracy can happen.
Could you explain further to me how we can find from a drawing all the possible degenerate basic feasible solution although we don't have a specific value of $a$ ? (Thinking)
 
evinda said:
Could you explain further to me how we can find from a drawing all the possible degenerate basic feasible solution although we don't have a specific value of $a$ ? (Thinking)

Every point on the boundary of the feasible region where 3 or more lines intersect is a degenerate basic feasible solution.
When we get to such a point with the simplex method, we won't be able to tell in which direction to continue. (Nerd)

This is already the case in $(0,2)$, although it still depends on $a$ whether that is actually a feasible solution.
Actually, for $a=0$ we would also get degenerate basic feasible solutions. (Nerd)
 
I like Serena said:
Every point on the boundary of the feasible region where 3 or more lines intersect is a degenerate basic feasible solution.

Why is it like that? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
When we get to such a point with the simplex method, we won't be able to tell in which direction to continue. (Nerd)

You mean that there will be more than one possibilities to check? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
This is already the case in $(0,2)$, although it still depends on $a$ whether that is actually a feasible solution.
Actually, for $a=0$ we would also get degenerate basic feasible solutions. (Nerd)

How do we find $(0,2)$ ?

Also if we pick a specific $a$ and find the points on the boundary will we find all the possible degenerate basic feasible solutions?
i.e. if we pick a different one will we find the same points? (Thinking)
 
evinda said:
So we have to continue the algorithm, picking either the column $P_4$ or the column $P_5$, right?

If we pick $P_4$ to get in the basis, then if $a \leq 3$ $P_2$ will get out of the basis. Otherwise $P_3$ gets out of the basis. Right? (Thinking)