1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Formula for the General Term of a Sequence

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bored student enters the number 0.5 in her calculator, then repeatedly computes the square of the number in the display. Taking A0 = 0.5, find a formula for the general term of the sequence {An} of the numbers that appear in the display, and find the limit of the sequence {An}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I'm having a difficult time finding a standard rule to this sequence. The only thing I came up with was an= (a(n-1))2. Then it doesn't seem reasonable to show the limit of this sequence is = 0 as n increases, an decreases. Is there another way of finding a rule that is easier to work with?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So ##a_0 = 0.5##. Can you give me ##a_1##? ##a_2##? ##a_3##? ##a_4##? (don't work it out completely, leave it in symbols, so don't say that ##(0.5)^2 = 0.25##, but leave it as ##(0.5)^2##). Do you notice a pattern?

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3
    ##a_1##=##(0.5)^2##

##a_2##=##(0.25)^2##

##a_3##=##(0.0625)^2##

##a_4##=##(0.00390625)^2##

Hmmm, I see that 0625 is recurring and I'm assuming that as n increases, the amount of decimal places increase by 2n places. Does that make sense?

EDIT: This is probably what you didn't want me to do eh Micromass? I improved my answer down below.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. Jul 31, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are simplifying, which hides the pattern. And so do decimals. Start out with ##a_0=\frac 1 2## and try that. Look for un-multiplied out powers of ##2##.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5
    Gotcha,

##a_0=\frac 1 {2}^{1}##
    ##a_1=\frac 1 {2}^{2}##
    ##a_2=\frac 1 {2}^{4}##
    ##a_3=\frac 1 {2}^{8}##

Bingo. ##a_n={2}^{2}^{n}##

I can't seem to get latex to work but it's 22n

EDIT: I got excited, it's 1/22n

7. Jul 31, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I added parentheses which are necessary and fixed your latex. Right click on an expression to see how it was fixed.

8. Jul 31, 2013 #7
    Thank you so much LCKurtz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted