Finding an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums

In summary, To find an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums, we can reformat the sum as a telescoping series and simplify the terms to (1-1/(n+1)). This formula agrees with the 2nd-partial sum of the series. To determine convergence, we can take the limit of the partial sum, which in this case is 1.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am trying to wrap my head around what it means to find an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums.

Question: Find an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums and determine if the series converges.

a) sum from n=1 to n=infinity of 1/(n(n+1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a telescoping series.
We can reformat the sum as follows:

a) sum from n=1 to n=infinity of (1/n - 1/(n+1))

Writing out the first few terms we see
(1-1/2+1/2-1/3+1/3-1/4+1/4-...)

Clearly, everything cancels out except 1 and 1/(n+1).

The question asks for an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums. Would that simply be (1-1/(n+1)) ?

Additionally, how can I tell that this converges (my hunch is that it does, since the terms are telescoping and canceling each other out)

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
The question asks for an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums. Would that simply be (1-1/(n+1)) ?

Yes.

If the first index is 1 (as it is in you problem) , the "n-th partial sum" of a series ##\{a_n\}## is defined to be ##\sum_{i=1}^n a_n##. For example, the 2nd-partial sum of the series in your example is (1- 1/2) + (1/2 - 1/3), so you can check your formula agrees with that number when n = 2.

Additionally, how can I tell that this converges (my hunch is that it does, since the terms are telescoping and canceling each other out)

What do you mean by "this"? Your problem involves 3 different things that could converge or diverge.
1) The sequence
2) The sequence of partial sums of the above sequence
3) The infinite series defined by summing the sequence in 1) above.

The limit of a sequence ##\{a_n\}##whose terms are given by a formula ##a_n = f(n)## is ##lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f(n)##.

The limit of a series ##\sum_{i=1}^\infty a_n## is given by the limit of its n-th partial sum as n approaches infinity. (Some textbooks use that statement as the definition for the limit of an infinite series.)

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, the partial sum formula just clicked for me with that confirmation. I can see that works out.

As for convergence, I am learning to take the limit of the partial sum, this would converge to 1.

1. What is an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums?

An explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums is a mathematical expression that allows you to calculate the value of each term in a sequence by plugging in the term's position in the sequence.

2. Why is finding an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums important?

Finding an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums is important because it allows you to easily and accurately calculate the value of any term in the sequence without having to manually list out and add up all the previous terms.

3. What are some common methods for finding an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums?

Some common methods for finding an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums include using the arithmetic or geometric series formula, using finite differences, or using the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. Can an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums be found for any sequence?

No, not all sequences have an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums. Some sequences may follow a pattern that cannot be expressed using a simple formula, while others may require more complex methods to find an explicit formula.

5. How can I check if an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums is correct?

You can check the correctness of an explicit formula for the sequence of partial sums by plugging in a few terms from the sequence and comparing the calculated values to the actual values. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the sequence and see if it matches the graph of the formula.