1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a linear transformation.

1. Dec 30, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How may I find (or prove that there isn't) a linear transformation which satisfies T: R3->R1[x], ker T = Sp{(1,0,1), (2,-1,1)}?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure how to approach this. I understand that kerT is the group of all vectors (x,y,z) in R3 so that T(x,y,z) = 0 = Sp{(1,0,1), (2,-1,1)}. So x = alpha, y = -beta, z = alpha + beta? Hence, x,y,z=0? Hence, T has to be one-to-one? Since dim(R1[x]) is 2, does that mean that there is no such linear transformation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand what you try to do with your alpha and beta.
    Every vector which can be written in that way is part of ker T - and now? What about vectors which cannot be written like that?

You can use a dimensional analysis to prove that there is no surjective linear transformation (with the given ker T), but that is not relevant here.

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Won't dimensional analysis show that dimIm(T) must be equal to 1? How does that help me disprove that no such linear transformation exists?

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Why do you think you can disprove it at all?

dim Im(T)=1, I agree

6. Dec 30, 2012 #5
    I don't know, wrong inference from your previous post I presume. In any case, how shall I proceed?

7. Dec 30, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]R_1[x][/itex] is the set of all polynomials of the form ax+ b for real numbers a and b (unless I am misunderstanding- I would call that R[x] without the "1"). We can represent that by the column vector [itex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \end{bmatrix}[/itex] and so we can represent a linear transformation from [itex]R^3[/itex] to [itex]R_1[x][/itex] by a 3 by 2 matrix:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}p \\ q\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Saying that the kernel is spanned by (1, 0, 1) and (2, -1, 1) means that
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a+ c \\ d+ e\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}2 \\ -1\\ 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2a- b+ c \\ 2d- e+ f\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So we must have a+ c= 0, d+ e= 0, 2a- b+ c= 0, and 2d- e+ f= 0. That gives four equations with which we can solve for four of a, b, c, d, e, and f in terms of the other two.

8. Dec 30, 2012 #7
    Would you care to explain the logic behind such approach? For instance, why did you choose a matrix whose first two elements in the first row are the elements of the column vector [a,b]?

9. Dec 30, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

a to f are just some constants (with arbitrary names), as this 2x3-matrix represents an arbitrary linear transformation from R^3 to R^2 (or R[x] in this special case).

10. Dec 30, 2012 #9
    Right, but it is for a reason that a and b appear in both cases, namely first two elements in the first row of the matrix AND the elements of the column vector [a,b]. I am asking why is that.
    Moreover, I have a general question - are all different bases linearly dependent?

11. Dec 30, 2012 #10

mfb

2016 Award

No, they are not related. As you can see, HallsofIvy replaced the names by p and q in the first equation to avoid collisions.

12. Dec 30, 2012 #11
    Okay. The result I obtained was a=b=-c and d=-e=-f/3.
    How do I derive my answer from these values?

13. Dec 31, 2012 #12

mfb

2016 Award

As you have no additional restrictions, you can choose two values for those parts to find a linear transformation.
    a=b=-c=5, d=e=-f/3=7 for example.

14. Dec 31, 2012 #13
    Hence, how should the final answer be presented? Shouldn't it be presented in the form of a polynomial ax+b?

15. Dec 31, 2012 #14

mfb

2016 Award

The final answer should give some unique way to map all vectors (g,h,i) to vectors px+q.

16. Dec 31, 2012 #15
    In that case, I don't think I understand. I thought I was to provide a general term for a transformation answering the criteria as presented in the question. Would you clarify, please?

17. Dec 31, 2012 #16

mfb

2016 Award

You have to give a single linear transformation - this is a specific way to map every vector of R^3 to a polynomial: Like an equation T(g,h,i)=... which can be used for all values of g,h,i and gives a result which depends on g,h,i.

18. Dec 31, 2012 #17
    Let me see if I got it correctly. Supposing I take the values for a,b,c,d,e and f, and substitute them into the original matrix as suggested by HallsofIvy, I get a single column vector whose elements are 5x+5y-5z and 7x+7y-21z. To what end does that serve me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook