1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a matrix, given one eigenvalue

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose B is a real 2x2 matrix with the following eigenvalue:

[itex]\frac{√3}{2} + \frac{3i}{2}. [/itex]

Find B[itex]^3[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    One of the hints is to consider diagonalization over C together with the fact
    that [itex](\frac{1}{2} + \frac{√3}{2}i)^3 = -1[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found B by going backwards through the quadratic formula, and found B =[itex]
    \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 3\\-1 & √3\end{pmatrix}
    [/itex]

How can I do this without the method I used? How can I apply the hint given above?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What your hint is telling you is that 1/2 + √3i/2 is a cube root of -1. Obviously, one cube root is -1. The third cube root is the complex conjugate of the one you have. Use it as another eigenvalue to get a second eigenvector.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am confused by fact that the given eigenvalue is [itex]\sqrt{3}/2+ 3i/2[/itex], NOT [itex]1/2+ \sqrt{3}i/2[/itex].

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

My guess is that there's a typo, and the the given eigenvalue should be 1/2 + √3i/2, which actually is a cube root of -1.

6. Mar 26, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would guess it means what it says, so one eigenvalue is sqrt(3) times a cube root of -1. They have a cube root of -1 correct in the hint. Since you know what the other eigenvalue must be it's pretty easy to find B^3 when you consider the diagonalization.

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Does this mean then that B^3 has eigenvalues that are equal to -3√3? I just cubed the eigenvalues for B after factoring out a √3.

8. Mar 26, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

B^3 for sure has one eigenvalue that -3√3. But that's not the question. The question is what is the matrix of B^3. There's a little bit more to do.

9. Mar 26, 2013 #8
    The other eigenvalue is the same isn't it? So there's only one distinct eigenvalue? For the matrix B^3, I put the eigenvalues on the diagonal and then 0's in the other two spots.

10. Mar 26, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. But a matrix can have only one eigenvalue and not be diagonalizable. That's not the case here. You just have to say why. That's all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted