1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a nonprime ideal of Z x Z

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Sorry about the formatting, LaTeX doesn't seem to be working, it seems to be giving garbage output.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a nontrivial proper ideal of Z x Z that is not prime.

2. Relevant equations
    Defn: An ideal N in a commutative ring R is prime, if ab in N implies, either a in N, or b in N, for all a, b in R.

Thm: An ideal of N is prime in R iff R/N is an integral domain.

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution at the back of the book is 4Z x {0}, however I don't see how this can be true. If we apply the definition of a prime ideal, we can show this ideal is in fact prime.

The product of 2 typical elements of N = 4Z x {0} is (a,b)(c,d) = (ac, bd), with bd = 0. Since b and d are in Z, which is an integral domain, bd = 0 implies b = 0 or d = 0. So (a,b) or (b,d) is in N. Thus N is prime by definition.

Alternatively, we can compute (Z x Z) / (4Z x {0}) = { (a,b) + 4Z x {0} | (a,b) in Z x Z}. Since, by the division algorithm, we can write a = 4q + r for some r = 0, 1, 2, 3, this simplifies to: (Z x Z) / (4Z x {0}) = { (a,b) + 4Z x {0} | a in {0, 1, 2, 3}, b in Z}, which is clearly isomorphic to {0 ,1 , 2, 3} x Z, which is isomorphic to Z by the map f((a,b)) = 4*a + b, for (a,b) in {0 ,1 , 2, 3} x Z. But Z is a domain, so (Z x Z) / (4Z x {0}) is also a domain and by the theorem above, 4Z x {0} is prime.

So did I make a huge mistake somewhere, or is the solution 4Z x {0} wrong. If so, how do I find the correct solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't want to consider the product of two elements in 4Zx{0}. You want to consider the product of two elements in ZxZ. (2,0)*(2,0)=(4,0). (4,0) is in 4Zx{0}. (2,0) isn't.

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    Ahh, yes. Quite a silly mistake to make.

Hmmm, that would mean by second proof is also wrong. However, I can't see any mistakes there. Any ideas?

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

{0,1,2,3}xZ is not isomorphic to Z, and it's not an integral domain. (2,0)*(2,0)=(0,0). f((a,b))=4*a+b is NOT a ring isomorphism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook