Finding a particular level curve of a function z=f(x,y)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to set the function z=f(x,y)=4x^2-y^2+1 to a constant c in order to create a level curve with two intersecting lines. It is noted that the cross section of the function with x fixed is a parabola opening down and the cross section with y fixed is a parabola opening up, creating a hyperbolic paraboloid. The individual equations and attempts at finding the solution are also mentioned. Ultimately, the solution is found by setting z to a value of 1, resulting in two intersecting lines.
cdot

Homework Statement

For the function z=f(x,y)=4x^2-y^2+1 I need to set z to a constant c so that the level curve created by the intersection of f(x,y) with the plane z=c is two intersecting lines. I know that the cross section of the function with x fixed is a parabola opening down and the cross section of the function with y fixed is a parabola opening up (it's a hyperbolic paraboloid).

Homework Equations

z=4x^-y^2+1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've graphed the function on wolfram alpha and I'm trying to visualize slicing the surface with horizontal planes but I can't seem to visualize at what value of z you would get two intersecting lines as a level curve.

Physics news on Phys.org
cdot said:

Homework Statement

For the function z=f(x,y)=4x^2-y^2+1 I need to set z to a constant c so that the level curve created by the intersection of f(x,y) with the plane z=c is two intersecting lines. I know that the cross section of the function with x fixed is a parabola opening down and the cross section of the function with y fixed is a parabola opening up (it's a hyperbolic paraboloid).

Homework Equations

z=4x^2-y^2+1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've graphed the function on wolfram alpha and I'm trying to visualize slicing the surface with horizontal planes but I can't seem to visualize at what value of z you would get two intersecting lines as a level curve.
If z = c, your equation becomes equivalent to:
[itex]\displaystyle
4x^2-y^2=c-1\,,[/itex]​
which for most values of c is the equation of a pair of hyperbolas.

The left hand side is the difference of squares so the equation is equivalent to:
[itex]\displaystyle
(2x-y)(2x+y)=c-1\ .[/itex]​
What must the value of c be to make the solution to this be two lines?

If I set z equal to 1 the solution is y=2x and y=-2x. Thank you!

1. What is a level curve of a function?

A level curve of a function is a curve on a two-dimensional graph that represents all the points where the function has the same output (or "level"). In other words, it is the set of points where the function has a constant value.

2. How do you find a particular level curve of a function?

To find a particular level curve of a function, you can set the function equal to a constant value and solve for one of the variables. This will give you an equation that represents the curve. Alternatively, you can plot the function on a graph and trace the points where the function has the desired output.

3. Why are level curves important in mathematics?

Level curves are important in mathematics because they help us visualize and understand the behavior of a function. They also allow us to identify critical points, such as maxima and minima, and to determine the direction of the function's change.

4. What is the relationship between level curves and contour lines?

Level curves and contour lines are essentially the same thing. They both represent curves on a graph where the function has a constant value. The only difference is that contour lines are commonly used in geographical or topographical maps, while level curves are more commonly used in mathematics.

5. Can a function have more than one level curve?

Yes, a function can have an infinite number of level curves. This is because there are infinite possible values that the function can output, and each value can be represented by a different level curve. In fact, a three-dimensional function can have an entire family of level curves, each representing a different "slice" of the function.