Finding a particular level curve of a function z=f(x,y)

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
cdot
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For the function z=f(x,y)=4x^2-y^2+1 I need to set z to a constant c so that the level curve created by the intersection of f(x,y) with the plane z=c is two intersecting lines. I know that the cross section of the function with x fixed is a parabola opening down and the cross section of the function with y fixed is a parabola opening up (it's a hyperbolic paraboloid).

Homework Equations



z=4x^-y^2+1

The Attempt at a Solution



I've graphed the function on wolfram alpha and I'm trying to visualize slicing the surface with horizontal planes but I can't seem to visualize at what value of z you would get two intersecting lines as a level curve.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cdot said:

Homework Statement



For the function z=f(x,y)=4x^2-y^2+1 I need to set z to a constant c so that the level curve created by the intersection of f(x,y) with the plane z=c is two intersecting lines. I know that the cross section of the function with x fixed is a parabola opening down and the cross section of the function with y fixed is a parabola opening up (it's a hyperbolic paraboloid).

Homework Equations



z=4x^2-y^2+1

The Attempt at a Solution



I've graphed the function on wolfram alpha and I'm trying to visualize slicing the surface with horizontal planes but I can't seem to visualize at what value of z you would get two intersecting lines as a level curve.
If z = c, your equation becomes equivalent to:
[itex]\displaystyle <br /> 4x^2-y^2=c-1\,,[/itex]​
which for most values of c is the equation of a pair of hyperbolas.

The left hand side is the difference of squares so the equation is equivalent to:
[itex]\displaystyle <br /> (2x-y)(2x+y)=c-1\ .[/itex]​
What must the value of c be to make the solution to this be two lines?
 
If I set z equal to 1 the solution is y=2x and y=-2x. Thank you!