Finding a point on a slope that meets a function - tricky one though

Wait, I don't get the part after "In summary, "In summary, in order to find the coordinates of point A and B for the function f(x) = x2 -6x +a, where "a" is a parameter, we need to set the function equal to the line equation at A and B, which are given as y = -2x +1 and y = 2x -11, respectively. By equating the function and the line equation, we can solve for the x coordinate of A, which will be in terms of "a". Then, by considering the number of solutions for the quadratic equation, we can find the value of "a" and use it to find the coordinates of point
I like Serena said:
The equation of your parabola is:
f(x) = x2 -6x +a

You found that A is (2, -3) using calculus.
This is a point on the parabola.

Can you combine that?
And solve for a?
Let me see,

So
Ay = -3
Ax = 2

(this is starting to sound like mechanics, but bear with me lol)

So I plug that into the parabola function and I get

-3 = 4 -12 +a

a = 5

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Is that it? :D Has to be? Brilliant!

Tons easier, too! I wished we used that method to begin with!

HallsofIvy said:
In order to intersect you must have [itex]x^2- 6x+ a= -2x+ 1[/itex] so that x must satisfy [itex]x^2- 4x+ a- 1= 0[/itex].

In order that the line be tangent to the parabola, that value of x must be a double root. That is, we must have [itex]x^2- 4x+ a- 1= (x- x_0)^2[/itex].

Complete the square in [itex]x^2- 4x+ a- 1[/itex]. a must be such this is as perfect square.

Oh, I believe I already found it using this route (posted above), but thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Is that it? :D Has to be? Brilliant!

Tons easier, too! I wished we used that method to begin with!)

That's it! :smile:

(And you're making me feel good about myself! :blushing:)

You're the one who's empowering my math, you're making me feel AWESOME about myself! Thank you :D

Hm, someone I'm not getting the area result with the notion of integrating the 3 functions...can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Answer book says 2/3

Attachments

• integ.jpg
    integ.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 391
Femme_physics said:
Hm, someone I'm not getting the area result with the notion of integrating the 3 functions...can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Answer book says 2/3

Before I answer your question, I'd like you to consider what you are doing.

I think you already know that the integral of a function measures the surface between the function and the x-axis.
With a function below the x-axis, the integral will come out to a negative value.

Can you estimate what those surfaces are for the 3 integrals you have?
Btw, a typical estimation would be based on a rectangle that more or less matches the surface.

With a function below the x-axis, the integral will come out to a negative value.
Yes, I see I forgot to add minus to the eight in the last calculation, but even then it's wrong
Can you estimate what those surfaces are for the 3 integrals you have?

I guess I can make a triangle if I find the critical point (I already know it's 3, actually) and that would give an "estimate" without the meniscus. I'm not sure how it helps me get the real value, though

Femme_physics said:
Yes, I see I forgot to add minus to the eight in the last calculation, but even then it's wrong

I guess I can make a triangle if I find the critical point (I already know it's 3, actually) and that would give an "estimate" without the meniscus. I'm not sure how it helps me get the real value, though

Let's take the third integral as an example.
The corresponding rectangle would have width 1 and a height between 3 and 4.
So the integral should come out between -3 and -4.
Instead, what you have is +2.

Did you make a mistake copying your formula or something? ;)

In your scan you have calculated the third integral as: x2 - 11x which is correct.
Which formula did you use when you substituted 3 and 4?

Btw, in your first integral you did use the proper formula, but apparently you made a mistake with your calculator?
Note that the estimation of the first integral would be a rectangle with width 2 and height between 3 and 4. So the first integral should come out between -6 and -8, but *not* exactly -8.

Btw, in your first integral you did use the proper formula, but apparently you made a mistake with your calculator?

Yes! Sharp of you. It's -7.3333.

But, it's still off the mark

Which formula did you use when you substituted 3 and 4?

The ascending slope
i.e.
2x-11
whose integral is x2 -11x

Femme_physics said:
The ascending slope
i.e.
2x-11
whose integral is x2 -11x

In your calculation of the third integral you used 2x-11 when you should have used x2 -11x.

Usage of y=2x-11 would give you the difference in the y values at x = 3 and x = 4, which is indeed +2, but then you need the surface... :)

Got it!

I now see all the stupid mistakes I've made! I actually didn't take the integral but the function when I did the area calcultion of the 2 slopes! *slaps forehead*.

As you can see, I haven't taken areas two many times. :blushing: I'm self-studying entirely for an external math exam that's mandatory for me if I want to keep studying engineering.

You're unbelievable for helping me through all of that ILS! Thank you so much :D

Attachments

• gotit.jpg
    gotit.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 414
Femme_physics said:
Got it!

I now see all the stupid mistakes I've made! I actually didn't take the integral but the function when I did the area calcultion of the 2 slopes! *slaps forehead*.

As you can see, I haven't taken areas two many times. :blushing: I'm self-studying entirely for an external math exam that's mandatory for me if I want to keep studying engineering.

You're unbelievable for helping me through all of that ILS! Thank you so much :D

:smile:

Wait!
Does that mean this thread has come to an end?
That we must move on to a new and uncertain thread?
I don't want it to end! :blushing:

LMAO! :D

The exercise has indeed sadly come to an end, but my help-seeking ways and scanning days are just beginning ;)

I have a bunch more! I just make it a rule not to ask 3 questions simultaneously.

I'll be hoping to see you stopping by! :D Always happy to see you've replied. Thanks. Learning so much from you.