1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a power series representation

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Start with the power series representation 1/(1-x) = sum from n=0 to inf. of x^n for abs(x) < 1 to find a power series representation for f(x) and determine the radius of convergence.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I get

1/(1-q)= sum q^n

Now, the problem lies in the fact that x is to a power of 2.

so if q= (-(x^2)-4) I get 1 / (1-(-(x^2)-4)) but if I want to integrate that, now that x is squared, I don't get the ln.

Can I do it the other way?

integrate first to get:

ln (1-q) = sum q^(n+1) / (n+1) and then replace q? I feel like that shouldn't work.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2
    My thoughts: f'(x) = 2x/(5 + x^2), right? So, keeping in mind that x is a constant term with respect to summation and all the work you've done, how would you write that as an infinite series?

Of course, I haven't done this in a while, so I could be completely wrong. Heh.
  4. Apr 10, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. The derivative of ln(5+ x2 is 2x/(5+ x2). Now, you want to make that look like the sum of a geometric series a/(1- r). First, divide both numerator and denominator by 5: (2/5)x/(1+ x^2/5)= (2/5)x/(1- (-x^2/5)). Do see what a and r must be? Once you have the geometric series, integrate term by term to go back to the logarithm.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?