1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding a solution to Maxwell's equations from initial datas

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we know that [tex]B(\vec x ,t)[/tex] is a solution to Maxwell's equations in vacuum and furthermore we know that [tex]E(\vec x , 0)=E_0[/tex].
    How do we find [tex]E(\vec x , t)[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\nabla \cdot E = 0[/tex].
    [tex]\nabla \cdot B =0[/tex].
    [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec B = \left ( \frac{-1}{c} \right ) \cdot \frac{\partial E}{\partial t}[/tex]
    [tex] \vec \nabla \times \vec E = \left ( \frac{1}{c} \right ) \cdot \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}[/tex].
    I'm using Gaussian's units.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I could work with the 2 lasts equations I posted to find E but I don't reach anything. I'd like a very small guidance like if I'm in the right direction + a hint if possible.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    Think about integrating the 3rd equation with respect to time.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for the tip.
    I reach [tex]\vec E=-c \int \vec \nabla \times \vec B dt[/tex]. I think of using the initial condition. So [tex]E_0=-c\int \vec \nabla \times \vec B (\vec x ,0) dt[/tex].
    I'm stuck here.

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4
    The integral will have bounds.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook