Finding acceleration and tension for 75 kg blocks on incline and hanging vertically

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
komarxian
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Block A has a mass of 75 kg and is initially at rest on a frictionless inclined plane tilted at a 37 ° above the horizon. Block A is attached to a massless rope that is connected to the top of Block B by way of a massless frictionless pulley. Block B also has a mass of 75 kg and hangs vertically. Find the acceleration of the blocks. Also find the Tension, T, in the rope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


When I solved it I found that a = 4 m/s^2, but I think I got it wrong. I used a=(mg-Fparallel)/B, but I may/most likely screwed up here. Any help would be greatly appreciated ;D. I also think that the acceleration might be 0, because it says that it is initially at rest, but that answer also doesn't feel right.
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture. Include free body diagrams.

Express Newton's second law for each object.

Solve for a.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Thewindyfan, Chestermiller and billy_joule
komarxian said:
I used a=(mg-Fparallel)/B,
You appear to think that adequately explains to others what you did. I assure you it doesn't. E.g. what do you mean by Fparallel? How did you calculate it? What does B represent in the equation - the mass of block B? What about m?
Please post all your steps and define your variables.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Thewindyfan, komarxian, Dr. Courtney and 1 other person
Okay, I tried this.
image.jpeg
 
komarxian said:
Mass A is M and mass B is m
That looks fine. You are also asked for the tension.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: komarxian
haruspex said:
That looks fine. You are also asked for the tension.
So do you know if my answer is correct? Thank you for the help!
 
komarxian said:
So do you know if my answer is correct? Thank you for the help!
Yes, I agree with your answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: komarxian
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1452209167.311935.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1452209193.244202.jpg

Okay, now that I have the acceleration, I was wondering If what I did to get tension was correct? My teacher recomended using the equation that I used in the second image.
 
Im sorry but I am pretty sure a is -1.99 ms^-2. i'l put some pics up in a sec
 
WrongMan said:
Im sorry but I am pretty sure a is -1.99 ms^-2. i'l put some pics up in a sec
You're right, I didn't notice komarxian had sin and cos mixed up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: komarxian
Oh darn, I'll take a look at that. @wrongedMan some pics would help a ton! Thank you for the help @haruspex as well
 
well without wanting to give it all away :p ... start with that (img), you should try and solve it without inputing any values just find an expression for a then put values in, repeat for T (bit more tricky for T). I'll still be around for a couple of hours to help you out if you get stuck :)edit1: BTW, important bit: sin(37) is NOT 4/5 maybe that was your mistake
edit2: yep that was your mistake

edit 3: ah @haruspex i see that's what you meant, i thought you meant he actually wrote cos instead of sin not that he got the values mixed up
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20160108_010936-2.jpg
    IMG_20160108_010936-2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: komarxian
! Thank you! I misread my formula sheet (again) omo.