1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration from graphs (s vs t^2)

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I’m to graph a plot of s (displacement) vs t^2 (time squared) then what would be the independent and dependent variable, t or s? I’m supposed to supposed to use this graph to find a slope with error bars and use the appropriate kinematics equation [which I think is s(t) = 1/2 at^2 (the vi*t is 0)]. The slope I will attain from the t^2 versus s graph, what will it represent? And how could I possibly plug it back into the equation to find acceleration? Thanks.

Also when I graph my results, should it be a positive or negative slope if the distance and time are decreasing every time? Because if it's a negative slope than that would mean that the x values for time squared would decrease going from 9.826 to 7.132

2. Relevant equations

s(t) = vi^t + 1/2a*t^2

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the table I'll use
    Average Displacement (cm)-------->Average Time squared (t²) s
    Distance 1 152.90 ± 0.05 cm--------->9.686
    Distance 2 143.66 ± 0.05 cm--------->9.321
    Distance 3 133.30 ± 0.04 cm--------->8.588
    Distance 4 123.56 ± 0.02 cm--------->7.896
    Distance 5 113.76 ± 0.02 cm--------->7.132

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2
    You are trying to draw a linear graph, right? And, as your graph will pass through the origin, this will have the form y=mx, correct? I'm going to assume that time is your independent variable, as it is the one with with you don't have a recorded error. Now, rearrange the formula to find m. Does the result seem familiar?

When drawing your graph, always start at the origin (0,0), and go towards infinity, for both x and y. Start with your lowest value of time, plot it, and continue up until you run out of points. In this way, you will not have a negative slope.

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    Actually, the error on time is +/- 0.0005 s. Anyways, I don't know about starting from 0, I mean, wouldn't that throw off the graph because the four intervals for time are 9.686 s, 9.321, 8.588 etc.

My other question now is should I have the time going from 9.686, 9.321, 8.588 or should I have the time increasins going from 7.132 s to 9.686?

Reason is because I'm supposed to find gravity from the acceleration. I'm guessing that the slope will be the value of 1/2*a from the kinematics equation.

Also, would anyone know how to show error bars on excel?

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    Right click on one of your points.

"Format data series"

"X Error Bars"
    "Y Error Bars"

Plot it as increasing

6. Nov 12, 2007 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Best to consider s as the dependent and t^2 as the independent variables.
    Assuming you are using Excel?

If the object started out of rest the term [tex]ut[/tex] can be dropped from the formula so

[tex]s = s_o + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex]

which menas that the gradient of the graph should be half of the acceleration and the y-intercept the displacement of the object from the origin when it started to accelerate.

This approach gives you a negative gradient. This fits the situation where the origin was below the point where the object was released and it fell towards the origin, giving you a negative acceleration.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?