1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration given position and time

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration. Its position is measured at three different times, as shown in the table below.
    Time (s) | Position, (m)
    48.40 | 9.100
    49.80 | 17.479
    51.20 | 32.816
    Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration at t=49.80 s.

2. Relevant equations

V(t) = V=at
    r(t)=r+v0t+0.5at2
    a=ΔV / Δt

3. The attempt at a solution

20161126_175913.jpg

I started making a 3 equations system, but this got way more complex than I think it should, and way more complicated than we did in class... Is this even the right direction at solving this?

EDIT: sorry for the hassle, solved the question.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Would you care to share your method and result?

4. Nov 26, 2016 #3
    Yes you can do it this way. There is another way to think about it, but it isn't really easier.

I looked where you wrote your 3 eqns and they look all right. I've never seen the notation of how you labeled these equations on the left side, but that's just a label. I would label those Vs as V0 to make it clear those are V0s. But everything looks right.

Let me ask you a question. If you took that first point and called it 0 would that change the physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted