Finding acceleration given position and time

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of acceleration for an object moving with constant acceleration based on position data at three different times. Two possible methods are mentioned, one involving a system of equations and the other involving redefining the first data point as 0. The equations provided are labeled correctly and the method mentioned is deemed correct.
agargento

Homework Statement

An object is moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration. Its position is measured at three different times, as shown in the table below.
Time (s) | Position, (m)
48.40 | 9.100
49.80 | 17.479
51.20 | 32.816
Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration at t=49.80 s.

Homework Equations

V(t) = V=at
r(t)=r+v0t+0.5at2
a=ΔV / Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

20161126_175913.jpg

I started making a 3 equations system, but this got way more complex than I think it should, and way more complicated than we did in class... Is this even the right direction at solving this?

EDIT: sorry for the hassle, solved the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would you care to share your method and result?

Yes you can do it this way. There is another way to think about it, but it isn't really easier.

I looked where you wrote your 3 eqns and they look all right. I've never seen the notation of how you labeled these equations on the left side, but that's just a label. I would label those Vs as V0 to make it clear those are V0s. But everything looks right.

Let me ask you a question. If you took that first point and called it 0 would that change the physics?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. How is acceleration related to position and time?

Acceleration is not directly related to position and time. However, acceleration can be calculated from the position and time data by using the formula a = (2 * Δx) / (Δt)^2, where a is the acceleration, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. How do you find acceleration from a position-time graph?

To find acceleration from a position-time graph, you can calculate the slope of the velocity-time graph. The slope of a position-time graph represents the object's velocity, and the slope of a velocity-time graph represents the object's acceleration.

5. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, means that an object is slowing down. This can happen if the velocity is decreasing or if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.