Finding Acceleration of Gravity of Fictional Planet

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
to819
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
In preparation for my upcoming first exam I was doing all of the suggested problems throughout the chapters. Everything was fine until this problem:

Homework Statement


An astronaut on the planet Zircon tosses a rock horizontally with a speed of 6.95m/s. The rock falls through a vertical distance of 1.4m and lands a horizontal distance of 8.75m from the astronaut. What is the acceleration of gravity on Zircon?


Homework Equations


Distance=speed x time
Speed=distance/time


The Attempt at a Solution



8.75m/6.95m/s=1.26s

1.4m/1.26s=1.11m/s

Now, I thought this was correct but according to the back of the book the answer is 1.77m/s which would be 1.4*1.26. Am I misunderstanding something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You found the speed of the rock if it fell at a constant speed. You are meant to find the acceleration of the rock. You need to use an equation that relates time, distance and acceleration.