1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Acceleration of Gravity of Fictional Planet

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    In preparation for my upcoming first exam I was doing all of the suggested problems throughout the chapters. Everything was fine until this problem:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An astronaut on the planet Zircon tosses a rock horizontally with a speed of 6.95m/s. The rock falls through a vertical distance of 1.4m and lands a horizontal distance of 8.75m from the astronaut. What is the acceleration of gravity on Zircon?

2. Relevant equations
    Distance=speed x time
    Speed=distance/time

3. The attempt at a solution

8.75m/6.95m/s=1.26s

1.4m/1.26s=1.11m/s

Now, I thought this was correct but according to the back of the book the answer is 1.77m/s which would be 1.4*1.26. Am I misunderstanding something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You found the speed of the rock if it fell at a constant speed. You are meant to find the acceleration of the rock. You need to use an equation that relates time, distance and acceleration.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Are you doing projectile motion?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook