1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating acceleration of gravity on a planet

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An astronaut on a strange planet finds that he can jump a maximum horizontal distance of 30m if his initial speed is 9m/s. What is the acceleration of gravity on the planet?

2. Relevant equations
    Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the formula mentioned above, plugged in number
    Vf=0m/s
    Vi=9m/s
    X=Xf-Xi=30m
    and get a=-1.35m/s^2

I'm not sure if it is correct, could someone double check and tell me if I did anything wrong? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Consider the trajectory of the jump: It's not a one-dimensional linear motion but rather a 2D curve, one with both horizontal and vertical components. The kinematic equation that you've chosen applies to motion in one dimension and doesn't take into account splitting the given velocity into components.

What's the optimum launch angle to maximize the range of a projectile? Have you covered the Range Equation in your classes? (If not you might want to look it up and try to remember it; it can really come in handy to avoid re-deriving the range of a projectile every time).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted