1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration through given equation

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The position of the front bumper of a test car under microprocessor control is given by:
    x(t) = 2.17 + (4.80m/s^2)t^2 - (0.100 m/s^6)t^6

Find the acceleration at the first instant when the car has zero velocity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

0m/s^2, 4.8m/s^2

I know that the first instant that the car has zero velocity is at 2.17m at 0 seconds in time. I also know that the car is about to accelerate at this instant. I can't figure out how to determine what the acceleration is though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How did you determine this?

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    delta x/delta t as t -> 0 is 2.17 (edit: this is wrong). It's because 2.17 is the starting point.

I don't know how to solve 2nd derivatives, I barely know anything about derivatives, our physics course is moving faster then our calc course right now.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

Doc Al

In order to find the velocity as a function of time, you take the first derivative of the position. What does that give you?

Once you have the velocity as a function of time, how would you find the acceleration?

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    I thought that the derivative function would be 9.6t - .6t^5. But I haven't actually learned derivatives yet.

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6

Doc Al

Good! That's v(t). And you can solve for the first value of t to make that zero.

Now find a(t).
    Seems like you know enough to get through this problem.

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7
    so a(t) = 9.6 - 3.0t^4?

so a(t) = 9.6 m/s^2?

9. Sep 15, 2011 #8

Doc Al

Right!
    Yes, that's the acceleration at t = 0. Call it a(t = 0), not a(t).

10. Sep 15, 2011 #9
    Thanks for the help! My lectures go so fast and I have a hard time following all the formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook