Finding altitude of a satellite if you know it's radius and mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the altitude of a 135 kg satellite orbiting the Earth, given the gravitational force and the radius of the orbit. The formula for period is mentioned, and the attempt at a solution using it is described. The concept of altitude is defined, and it is determined that the height of the satellite above the Earth's surface is needed to calculate the altitude. The conversation concludes with the reminder that the satellite is orbiting the Earth.
astru025

Homework Statement

A 135 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force by the Earth of 960 N. What is the radius of the satellite's orbit. And altitude? I already found the radius and I came up with 7489.99 km. I just need help finding the altitude.

Homework Equations

Equation for period: T= 2∏ times the square root of (r^3) / (GMe)
Period= how long it takes to go around once.
From this step what do I do next?

The Attempt at a Solution

For T I did 2∏ times the square root of (4.2E11) / (3.99E14)

I got 4.2E11 but taking the radius I got up above (7489.99) and then curbing it. I got 3.99E14 by taking G (6.67E-11) times Me (5.98E24).

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of altitude?

If you know the radius of the orbit about the earth, what other number do you need to know to calculate altitude?

Altitude=the height of an object. I also need to know the speed of the orbit?

You do not need to know the object's orbital velocity.

Altitude is the height of the object above what?

I need to know the objects radius?

No. You are missing something very basic. What is the satellite orbiting?

astru025 said:
Altitude=the height of an object. I also need to know the speed of the orbit?

Height of an object relative to what? The center of the earth? The upper shelf in your closet? The top of the Empire State Building?

The satellite is Orbiting earth...

You already know the distance from the center of the Earth to the satellite. So how far is the satellite above the surface of the Earth?

1. How do you calculate the altitude of a satellite if you know its radius and mass?

To calculate the altitude of a satellite, you can use the following formula: altitude = radius + height, where height is the distance from the center of the satellite to the center of Earth. The radius and mass of the satellite can be used to calculate the height using the law of universal gravitation.

2. What is the law of universal gravitation and how does it relate to finding the altitude of a satellite?

The law of universal gravitation states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law can be used to calculate the gravitational force between a satellite and Earth and can help determine the height of the satellite.

3. Can the altitude of a satellite be calculated using only its radius and mass?

No, the altitude of a satellite cannot be calculated using only its radius and mass. Other factors such as the gravitational force of Earth, the satellite's speed, and its orbit must also be taken into account. These factors can be used in the formula for calculating altitude to determine the satellite's height.

4. How does the altitude of a satellite affect its orbit?

The altitude of a satellite directly affects its orbit. The higher the altitude, the larger the orbit will be. This is because the gravitational pull from Earth decreases with distance, which allows the satellite to have a larger orbit at a higher altitude.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the altitude of a satellite?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the altitude of a satellite. For example, the satellite's position and velocity can be tracked using ground-based tracking stations, and the altitude can be calculated using this data. Additionally, specialized instruments on the satellite itself can also be used to measure its altitude.