Low altitude satellites orbiting around planet with twice radius

In summary: Double the radius and the mass would be the same, or quadruple the radius and the mass would be 4x the original.
totallyclone

Homework Statement

Two remote planets consist of identical material, but one has a radius twice as large as the other. IF the shortest possible period for a low altitude satellite orbiting the smaller planet is 40 minutes, what is the shortest possible period for a similar low altitude satellite orbiting the larger one? Answer in minutes.

Homework Equations

volume of sphere=4/3 ∏r3
speed=distance/time
Ek=-1/2 Eg

The Attempt at a Solution

rB=2rA

timeA=2∏r/VA
40=2∏r/VA

Don't really know how to move on from here? I know I have to find the time taken for the satellite to orbit planet B.

TB=2∏(2rA)/VB

I don't know VB, how would I find that?

Attachments

• physics-3.png
    physics-3.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
totallyclone said:

Homework Statement

Two remote planets consist of identical material, but one has a radius twice as large as the other. IF the shortest possible period for a low altitude satellite orbiting the smaller planet is 40 minutes, what is the shortest possible period for a similar low altitude satellite orbiting the larger one? Answer in minutes.

Homework Equations

volume of sphere=4/3 ∏r3
speed=distance/time
Ek=-1/2 Eg

The Attempt at a Solution

rB=2rA

timeA=2∏r/VA
40=2∏r/VA

Don't really know how to move on from here? I know I have to find the time taken for the satellite to orbit planet B.

TB=2∏(2rA)/VB

I don't know VB, how would I find that?

The larger planet will have a much larger mass [same material presumably means same density]

Radius of orbit around the larger planet is larger [just a little larger than the planet itself]

I would be looking at the effect of doubling the radius of orbit of the satellite around the smaller planet, then the effect of having a larger mass attracting the satellite.

PeterO said:
The larger planet will have a much larger mass [same material presumably means same density]

Radius of orbit around the larger planet is larger [just a little larger than the planet itself]

I would be looking at the effect of doubling the radius of orbit of the satellite around the smaller planet, then the effect of having a larger mass attracting the satellite.

So I doubled the radius. I didn't notice their densities would be the same since they're made of the same material. Anyways:

EKA=-1/2 EGA
1/2 mvA2=-1/2(-GmMA/rA)
vA2=GMA/rA

and

EKB=-1/2 EGB
1/2 mvB2=-1/2(-GmMB/2rA)
vB2=GMB/2rA

Last edited:
totallyclone said:
So I doubled the radius. I didn't notice their densities would be the same since they're made of the same material. Anyways:

EKA=-1/2 EGA
1/2 mvA2=-1/2(-GmMA/rA)
vA2=GMA/rA

and

EKB=-1/2 EGB
1/2 mvB2=-1/2(-GmMB/2rA)
vB2=GMB/2rA

I was looking for an answer like: If you double the radius (while retaining the planet mass), you double/halve/quadruple/quarter the period.

You would then look at: When you double/treble/quadruple/etc the mass of the planet (independent of the radius), you (some change) the Period.

You then combine those effects:

eg if one change means halving, and the other means increasing by a factor of 12; then net result is an increase by a factor of 6.

Volume of B=4/3 ∏r3
=4/3∏(2rA)3
=4/3∏(8rA3)
=8(4/3∏rA3)
=8 volume of A

So, planet B's volume is 8 times of A's...

totallyclone said:

EKA=-1/2 EGA
1/2 mvA2=-1/2(-GmMA/rA)
vA2=GMA/rA

and

EKB=-1/2 EGB
1/2 mvB2=-1/2(-GmMB/2rA)
vB2=GMB/2rA

I would be addressing the expression a = 4π2.R / T2
one of the more useful expressions relating to the acceleration of a body moving in a circle.

totallyclone said:
Volume of B=4/3 ∏r3
=4/3∏(2rA)3
=4/3∏(8rA3)
=8(4/3∏rA3)
=8 volume of A

So, planet B's volume is 8 times of A's...

Given they are made of the same material (imagine if you were using two steel balls to model the situation) what effect would that have on the mass.

1. How do low altitude satellites orbit around a planet with twice the radius?

Low altitude satellites orbit around a planet with twice the radius by maintaining a specific altitude above the planet's surface. The satellite's speed and trajectory are carefully calculated to ensure that it stays in a stable orbit around the planet.

2. What are the advantages of using low altitude satellites for orbiting a planet with twice the radius?

Low altitude satellites offer several advantages for orbiting a planet with twice the radius. They are closer to the planet's surface, which allows for better imaging and data collection. They also require less fuel for orbit maintenance and have shorter communication delays compared to higher altitude satellites.

3. Can low altitude satellites orbiting around a planet with twice the radius collide with each other?

Yes, low altitude satellites can collide with each other if proper precautions are not taken. To prevent collisions, satellites are carefully monitored and their orbits are constantly adjusted if necessary. They also have built-in collision avoidance systems to help prevent any potential collisions.

4. How do low altitude satellites orbiting around a planet with twice the radius affect the planet's gravitational pull?

The gravitational pull of a planet on low altitude satellites is slightly stronger compared to higher altitude satellites. However, the effect on the planet's overall gravitational pull is minimal. Low altitude satellites do not significantly alter the planet's gravitational pull.

5. What are the potential risks of using low altitude satellites for orbiting a planet with twice the radius?

The main risk of using low altitude satellites for orbiting a planet with twice the radius is the possibility of collision with other satellites or space debris. This can cause damage to the satellite or even render it unusable. Additionally, the closer proximity to the planet's surface may also increase the risk of atmospheric drag, which can affect the satellite's orbit and potentially cause it to deorbit prematurely.