1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for Electric Potential?

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a thin rod with charge Q that has been bent into a semicircle with radius R. Find an expression for the electric potential at the center.

Radius = R
    Charge = Q

2. Relevant equations
    V = ∫(k * dq)/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    dq = λdx
    λ = Q/L
    L = pi * r

V = kQ / LR ∫ dx = kQ / pi * r^2 ∫ [3pi/2 - pi/2]
    V = kQ/R^2

But the answer should be kQ/R. How did the other R get cancelled?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are your limits of integration? You should use polar coordinates and integrate over an angle.

4. Mar 1, 2017 #3
    I integrated from pi/2 to 3pi/2. Which came out to be just pi and that cancelled out the pi from L = pi * r.

5. Mar 1, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your integrand has a dx in it. What did you do with it? To integrate over an angle you need a dθ in the integrand.

6. Mar 1, 2017 #5
    Oh I see. So dx should be rdθ instead for polar coordinates right, without it I can't integrate from pi/2 to 3pi/2?

7. Mar 1, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. That cancels the extra R in the denominator. Also, note that the beginning angle is arbitrary. A semicircle is a semicircle. You might as well integrate from 0 to π.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted