Finding an Unknown Charge using Coulomb's Law

In summary, the problem involves three identical point charges on an isosceles triangle with its altitude oriented vertically. The resultant electrical force on the charge located at the upper vertex of the triangle has a magnitude of 0.500N. To solve for the magnitude of the charge, one must convert the given measurements from cm to m and use Coulomb's Law to find the angle of the bottom sides. Recognizing the symmetry of the charge distribution and applying Newton's Second Law will lead to the final equation needed to solve for q.
whatisphysics

Homework Statement

Three identical point charges, each of magnitude q, are located on the vertices of an isosceles triangle with its altitude oriented vertically. The altitude of the triangle is 4.00cm and the base is 6.00cm long. The resultant electrical force on the charge located at the upper vertex of the triangle has a magnitude of 0.500N. What is q?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law:
F=(1/4*pi*E0)*(|Q1Q2|/r2)
1/4*pi*E0 = 8.99x109

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I converted all the cm to m.
4.00cm = 0.04m
6.00cm = 0.06m
And then I drew out the charges on the triangle and the distances to help me get a better picture of what the question in talking about.
I thought about plugging in 0.500N for F, but since it's a 'resultant' force, it would mean it's the 2 forces of the 2 charges, not just a single force. So I'm a bit stuck here. The other question that came to mind was, will I need to know whether the charges are negative or positive?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I would love it if I am given hints, instead of just directly telling me how to solve it; because I do want to learn. Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 626
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that by their use of, 'three identical point charges', that they are saying the charges have the same sign. Thus, I would recommend the following steps towards solving:

step 1: Determine the angle of the bottom sides
step 2: Recognize the symmetry of the charge distribution and use this to your advantage.
step 3: Apply Newton 2, and solve.

At your disposal, here is the equation you should get:
0.5 = 2* sin( arctan(4/3) ) * k q2/r2

1. How do I determine the magnitude of an unknown charge using Coulomb's Law?

To determine the magnitude of an unknown charge using Coulomb's Law, you will need to know the distance between the two charges, the magnitude of the other known charge, and the value of the Coulomb's constant. Using the formula Q = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, you can solve for the unknown charge (Q).

2. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to finding an unknown charge?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By rearranging the formula, we can use Coulomb's Law to find the magnitude of an unknown charge when given the other variables.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to find the sign of an unknown charge?

No, Coulomb's Law only allows us to find the magnitude of an unknown charge. In order to determine the sign of the charge, we would need additional information or use other methods such as the direction of the electric field.

4. What units are used in Coulomb's Law?

The units used in Coulomb's Law depend on the system of units being used. In the SI (International System of Units), the units are Newtons (N) for force, Coulombs (C) for charge, and meters (m) for distance. In the CGS (Centimeter-Gram-Second) system, the units are dyne for force, statcoulombs (statC) for charge, and centimeters (cm) for distance.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

Coulomb's Law can be applied to any two charged particles, regardless of their size or shape. However, it is most accurate for point charges, which are infinitely small particles with a concentrated charge. For larger charged objects, the law can be applied by treating them as a collection of point charges and calculating the force between them.