1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angle of billiard ball after collision

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A billiard ball of mass 0.162 kg has a speed of 1.86 m/s and collides with the side of the billiard table at an angle of 51.8°. For this collision, the coefficient of restitution is 0.841. What is the angle relative to the side (in degrees) at which the ball moves away from the collision?

m = 0.162 kg
    vi = 1.86 m/s
    θ = 51.8°
    CR = 0.841

2. Relevant equations

CR = v/u
    mvxi + mvyi = mv'xf + mv'yf

3. The attempt at a solution

CR = v/u
    0.841 = v / 1.86 m/s
    v = 1.56 m/s

mvxi = mvxf
    mvcosθ = mvcosθ'
    1.86 * cos 51.8° = vxf
    vxf = 1.15 m/s

cosθ' = vxf/v
    cosθ' = 1.15/1.56
    θ' = cos-1(1.15/1.56) = 42.5°

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a problem with these two. E.g. the second says θ = α and I don't believe the first one either!

Is momentum really conserved in the billiard ball? What about momentum transferred to the Earth via the pool table etc.?

M.E.'s out there, help?

1.86 * cos 51.8° = vxf
    vxf = 1.15 m/s

cosα = vxf/v
    cosα = 1.15/1.56
    α = cos-1(1.15/1.56) = 42.5°[/QUOTE]

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Hmm not sure about the momentum transfer to the Earth etc. I checked a couple sites where they said momentum is conserved in the x direction in this situation.

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that makes sense. Momentum transfer to earth should be only in the direction perpendicular to the table's side. Good point. Did you pick x as going along the side of the collision?

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Yes, I think so. I chose the x-axis to be the side of the table. On a x-y coordinate, the ball travels from the 3rd quadrant, hits at the origin, and deflects towards the 4th quadrant. And, I chose the angles to be along the x axis. Don't know if that's the right way.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. Feb 25, 2013 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are supposed to assume that the speed is reduced only in the direction perpendicular to the cushion.

AM

8. Feb 26, 2013 #7
    Yeah, that's what I was assuming but i found out my mistake. I noticed that CR should've been CR = [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]sinθ' / [itex]\vec{u}[/itex]sinθ

Thanks rudeman and Andrew for the suggestions!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted