1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Angle of Inclination With a Given Slope

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the angle of inclination of a line when the slope, m, is equal to -1/2

2. Relevant equations
    m = rise/run = tan(φ)

φ=angle of inclination

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought the answer would simply be using arctan on the slope, but my answer gives me -26.565051 degrees when the answer is supposed to be 153 degrees:

arctan(-1/2) = 26.565051

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

yes, in fact ## 180°-26,6°=153,4° ## it is the same angle... (remember that the period of the tangent is ##\pi##)

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    Ahhh, thank you! I've been scratching my head at this for a few days now. I dont think the Calculus text Im using(Anton Calculus 6th ed.) ever talked about the period of the tangent being π. Or I somehow missed it.

5. Mar 28, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that the arctan function on a calculator gives answers in the principal value range, ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)##, but the angle of inclination of a line is between ##0## and ##\pi##. That's why you need the second quadrant angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted