Finding Angle of Inclination With a Given Slope

In summary, when finding the angle of inclination of a line with a slope of -1/2, it is important to remember that the arctan function on a calculator gives answers in the principal value range, (-π/2, π/2), but the angle of inclination is between 0 and π. Therefore, you need to find the second quadrant angle, which is 180 degrees minus the principal value.
onemic

Homework Statement

Find the angle of inclination of a line when the slope, m, is equal to -1/2

Homework Equations

m = rise/run = tan(φ)

φ=angle of inclination

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer would simply be using arctan on the slope, but my answer gives me -26.565051 degrees when the answer is supposed to be 153 degrees:

arctan(-1/2) = 26.565051

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, in fact ## 180°-26,6°=153,4° ## it is the same angle... (remember that the period of the tangent is ##\pi##)

Likes onemic
Ahhh, thank you! I've been scratching my head at this for a few days now. I don't think the Calculus text I am using(Anton Calculus 6th ed.) ever talked about the period of the tangent being π. Or I somehow missed it.

Likes Ssnow
Remember that the arctan function on a calculator gives answers in the principal value range, ##(-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2)##, but the angle of inclination of a line is between ##0## and ##\pi##. That's why you need the second quadrant angle.

What is the formula for finding the angle of inclination with a given slope?

The formula for finding the angle of inclination is tan θ = slope, where θ represents the angle of inclination and slope represents the given slope.

How do I use the formula to find the angle of inclination?

To use the formula, plug in the known value for the slope and solve for θ using a scientific calculator or by hand. The resulting value will be the angle of inclination in radians.

What if I want the angle of inclination in degrees instead of radians?

If you want the angle of inclination in degrees, you can use the formula θ = arctan(slope) to find the angle in radians and then convert it to degrees by multiplying by 180/π.

Can I use this formula for any slope?

Yes, this formula can be used for any slope, whether it is positive, negative, or zero. However, the resulting angle of inclination may be a negative value, which would indicate that the slope is decreasing rather than increasing.

Are there any limitations to using this formula?

This formula assumes a linear relationship between the x and y coordinates, so it may not be accurate for non-linear relationships. Additionally, it does not take into account any external factors that may affect the slope, such as friction or other forces.