Calculate m (slope) of a line given the angle in degrees

In summary: Thanks again for your help.In summary,To calculate the slope of a linear line, you need to know the angle of the line in radians. To do this, you need to convert the angle to degrees and then multiply by 180 degrees.
Francis Bacon
Hi,

I want calculate the m = slope of a linear line WHEN I already know the angle in degrees of the line.

Here is an example: I calculate with Excel the angle with the following function: =+DEGREES(ATAN(0.0874887)) and I get as result the angle of 5%.

But how do I calculate the value 0.0874887 that is m = slope if I already know the angle of the linear line is 5%?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You simply convert the angle from degrees to radians. Do you know how to do that ?

##\ ##

Thanks BvU for your fast response.

Unfortunately I don't know how to convert the angle to radians. Please give me the Excel formula.

Thanks a lot.

Hi BvU,
I got it.
=+RADIANS(5)

Thanks really a lot.

Hi,
In the above example I have calculated the DEGREE of the slope of the line and not as I have written the percent of the slope.
I have written 5% as the angle of the line. That is wrong. It is 5° !

Now I have a new question concerning the slope of a linear line: "How do I calculate the PERCENT of the slope of the line?

Lets assume I have a linear line with a slope of m = 0.05. What is the percent of the slope of the line?

Thanks

Francis Bacon said:
Lets assume I have a linear line with a slope of m = 0.05. What is the percent of the slope of the line?
0.05 x 100% = 5%.

Hi pbuk,

thanks a lot. How simple.

Francis Bacon said:
thanks a lot. How simple.
Indeed. If you want whatever you are doing with this in Excel to make any sense I think it would be a good idea for you to relearn the basics of triangle geometry - plenty of resources online.

pbuk said:
Indeed. If you want whatever you are doing with this in Excel to make any sense I think it would be a good idea for you to relearn the basics of triangle geometry - plenty of resources online.

You are right and I am already searching for some online courses in geometry and trigonometry.
Thanks again for your help.

Francis Bacon said:
... Please give me the Excel formula.
The excel ?:) formula isn't good enough. What if your batteries run out :wink: ?
Better to understand what needs to be done! :

You know that one revolution is 2##\pi## and also 360 degrees. So

angle in radians = angle in degrees / 180 ##\bf \times## ##\bf\pi ##
Francis Bacon said:
Hi,
In the above example I have calculated the DEGREE of the slope of the line and not as I have written the percent of the slope.
I have written 5% as the angle of the line. That is wrong. It is 5° !

Now I have a new question concerning the slope of a linear line: "How do I calculate the PERCENT of the slope of the line?

You should be aware that percent slope isn't all that unambiguously defined:
it is 'rise over run' but 'run' can be actual distance covered or it can be horizontal distance covered.
So 100 % can be 90 degrees or 45 degrees, respectively b/c and b/a in the figure in the link below.

https://communityviz.city-explained...1/Formulas/Function_library/Atan_function.htm

For small angles the difference is very small:
$$\arctan(0.05) = 0.049958396 \qquad \arcsin(0.05) = 0.050020857$$

and now you know what that is when expressed in degrees :smile:

##\ ##

BvU said:
You should be aware that percent slope isn't all that unambiguously defined:
it is 'rise over run' but 'run' can be actual distance covered or it can be horizontal distance covered.
So 100 % can be 90 degrees or 45 degrees, respectively b/c and b/a in the figure in the link below.
Can you provide any authoritative source for the 90° interpretation? As far as I am aware this is not an ambiguity, it is simply wrong. It is not even a USA/rest of the world thing as you can see from the US Geological Survey and (can't find an international reference...).

In short: No. I just copied the warning.
Usually a “25% slope” means that b/a = 0.25 in the figure above...
(Be aware, however, that sometimes people use the term percent slope to mean b/c.##\quad##...)

To me it makes sense, because the 45 degree interpretation involves hefty surveying

##\ ##

BvU said:
To me it makes sense, because the 45 degree interpretation involves hefty surveying
Absolutely. Whether you are talking about cartography, architecture or setting out e.g. plumbing, you are working to a horizontal datum. So I think it is not good to introduce doubt: run is always horizontal and rise is always vertical.

Likes BvU

1. How do I calculate the slope of a line given the angle in degrees?

To calculate the slope of a line given the angle in degrees, you can use the formula m = tan(θ), where θ is the angle in degrees and m is the slope of the line.

2. What is the significance of calculating the slope of a line?

The slope of a line represents the rate of change between two points on the line. It can also indicate the direction of the line, whether it is increasing or decreasing.

3. Can I use any angle measurement to calculate the slope of a line?

No, the angle must be measured in degrees for the formula m = tan(θ) to be accurate. Using other units of measurement, such as radians, will result in a different slope calculation.

4. How do I interpret the slope of a line?

If the slope is positive, it means the line is increasing from left to right. If the slope is negative, it means the line is decreasing from left to right. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the slope of a line given the angle in degrees?

Yes, most scientific or graphing calculators have a tangent function (tan) that you can use to find the slope of a line given the angle in degrees. Simply input the angle in degrees and press the tan button to get the slope.