Finding angular acceleration from torque

In summary, the video shows an applied net torque of 1500 N*m due to wind on a windmill, which spins three propellers each weighing 45 Kg with a moment of inertia equal to 65% of a rod of the same mass spun around its end. The torque was applied for 45 seconds before an explosion occurred, and the question asks for the angular acceleration caused by the torque. However, the length of the blades, which is crucial for moment of inertia, is not given in the video. The best approach would be to keep the length as a variable and find the answer in terms of a coefficient times L. It is also important to note that the moment of inertia for the entire turbine would be the sum of
mohabitar
We have to analyze this video:

Givens:

1) An applied net torque due to the wind on the windmill is equal to 1500 N*m.

2) Each (of the 3) propeller props weighs approximately 45 Kg and has a Moment of Inertial equal to about 65% of that of a rod of the same mass being spun about its end.

3) This torque is applied for approximately 45 seconds before the explosion, prior to which the windmill was at rest.

Question: What was the angular acceleration caused by the torque?

So here's my attempt at it: T=Ia (a is alpha) T=ML^2/3 * a * .65 (due to the whole 65% thing. Actually not sure if I should put 3*M for each propeller)

And so this is where I get stuck. I'm not given L, so I'm not sure how to work around this. I could also use T=1/2*MR^2*a, but then I don't know R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in that you would need to know the length of the blades, which is also the radius of the circle. The radius of motion is crucial for moment of inertia. It's more than crucial, it's "crucial squared." I watched the video, and there is no reasonable way to estimate the size of this turbine since there is nothing in the scene to compare it to. The best thing to do is keep the "L" in as a variable and find the answer in terms of a "coefficient times L"
such as "3.25 L^2." (But I made that number up).

And you can multiply the I of each propeller x 3 for the net I of the turbine, and I think that the .65 is correctly applied, if I am understanding the question correctly.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is commonly measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque is commonly measured in newton-meters (N·m) or pound-feet (lb·ft).

How do I calculate angular acceleration from torque?

To calculate angular acceleration from torque, you can use the formula α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration in radians per second squared, τ is the torque in newton-meters, and I is the moment of inertia of the object in kilograms per square meter (kg/m²). Make sure to use consistent units when using this formula.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated as the sum of the mass of each particle in the object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. Moment of inertia is commonly measured in kilograms per square meter (kg/m²).

Can I find angular acceleration from torque without knowing the moment of inertia?

No, it is not possible to find angular acceleration from torque without knowing the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a necessary component in the formula for calculating angular acceleration from torque, and without it, the calculation cannot be accurately performed.