Finding angular speed of a precessing gyroscope

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gyroscopes and the importance of keeping track of units in calculations. The speaker realizes their error in not converting to rad/s first and thanks the other person for their help.
Fluxthroughme
kCbNhjJ.png

Haven't done much work with gyroscopes, so I think I'm just missing something obvious, but since I'm using very basic formulas, I cannot see my error. The stated answer is [itex]1.8*10^3 rev/min[/itex], so I am clearly off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep track of all of your units in your calculation. Note that using dL/dt = ΩpL requires Ωp to be in rad/s or rad/min (depending on your unit of time). I would suggest sticking with SI units throughout the calculation and then converting to rev/min at the end.

TSny said:
Keep track of all of your units in your calculation. Note that using dL/dt = ΩpL requires Ωp to be in rad/s or rad/min (depending on your unit of time). I would suggest sticking with SI units throughout the calculation and then converting to rev/min at the end.

Ahh! Converting to rad/s first and converting to rev/min at the end does work. So it WAS something simple :P Thank you!

1. What is a precessing gyroscope?

A precessing gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disc that is mounted on a pivot and able to freely rotate in any direction. It is commonly used in navigation and stabilization systems.

2. How is angular speed measured in a precessing gyroscope?

The angular speed of a precessing gyroscope is measured in revolutions per unit time, such as rotations per minute (RPM) or rotations per second (RPS).

3. What factors affect the angular speed of a precessing gyroscope?

The angular speed of a precessing gyroscope is affected by the rate of rotation of the gyroscope, the mass and distribution of the weight, and the torque applied to the gyroscope.

4. What is the formula for calculating the angular speed of a precessing gyroscope?

The formula for calculating the angular speed of a precessing gyroscope is: angular speed = (rate of rotation x torque) / (mass x moment of inertia).

5. How is the angular speed of a precessing gyroscope used in practical applications?

The angular speed of a precessing gyroscope is used in various applications such as navigation systems, gyrocompasses, and gyroscopic stabilization in aircraft, ships, and satellites.