1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gyroscope- Angular Speed, Rotational Kinematics, Precession

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Gyroscope-- Angular Speed, Rotational Kinematics, Precession

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Gyro Stabilizer. The stabilizing gyroscope of a ship is a solid disk with a mass of 6.50×10^4 kg; its radius is 2.30m, and it rotates about a vertical axis with an angular speed of 500 rev/min.

1) How much time is required to bring it up to speed, starting from rest, with a constant power input of 7.45×10^4 W?

2)Find the torque needed to cause the axis to precess in a vertical fore-and-aft plane at an angular rate of 1.00 degree/sec.

2. Relevant equations
    I may be incorrect as I apparently keep coming up with the wrong answer. However, the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder I=1/2mr^2. P=power, I=moment of inertia, w=angular speed, a=angular acceleration, T=torque.

P=Tw. Ia=T. W=at.

For the second question, I'm a lot more lost. I'm guessing it's Torque/angular momentum but I continue to get incorrect answers.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, perhaps it's an issue with me actually understanding what is given because I would assume you would need a length from a pivot in order to work with a gyroscope. Since there is no such info in the problem, I assume that the disk is rotating directly on the pivot point.

I started with finding I. I=1/2(6.5*10^4)(2.3^2). I get 171925. Next, I use the Power equation to find the torque, using the given power and target angular speed. 7.45*10^4=T(500(rev/min). I convert 500 Rev/min to rads per second using 500*(2pi/60) to get 52.3599.

Then, solving for T, (7.45*10^4)/52.3599 to get 1422.84.

T=Ia. Using 1422.84=171925a, we find alpha to be .008276. Here is where I think there is something I may not be accounting for with torque due to the weight of the disc, but I assumed that since it is acting at the center of mass there is no torque. I tried the solution with torque being equal to mg + 1422.84, and the answer is still wrong.

Anyway, now that we have a, and given that the gyro starts from rest, w=at. So, 52.3599/.008276 = t, which =6327.

This answer is incorrect. Am I making incorrect assumptions somewhere as to using equations that wouldn't apply in this situation or something I am missing completely? Any help is much appreciated.

As for the precession part, that can wait until after I've figured out the first part.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Re: Gyroscope-- Angular Speed, Rotational Kinematics, Precession

Any ideas?
  4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    Re: Gyroscope-- Angular Speed, Rotational Kinematics, Precession

Figured it out. My approach went off on a tangent because the angular velocity is not constant. Instead, you use the energy approach K=1/2Iw^2 and know that the work is equal to the change in kinetic energy, and Power is work over time. So, Power * change in time =W.

1/2Iw^2=P*t, divide by the given power.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?